Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. J

6500 K power compact screw in bulbs

19W Yes, they are commercial electric. I believe they are the only bulbs that they actually do post the wattage on the packaging. It also says on the base of the bulb on the ballast. I think on all of the other bulbs it says so there as well. praise the Lord for good things like power...
  2. J

lighting

about the light: HEy! i've got an idea. Actualy I've been using it already, and it works great for little money. If you use an incandescent hood, the ones you shouldn't use with a normal bulb, you can fit a power compact screw in bulb into it. A power compact screw in bulb is avalable...
  3. J

Dude - power rebates I wish my power company would start a power compact rebate program! That would be so great. They're a bit expensive still here. You can get a decent 2700 K lamp for about 4$, but the ones to use above a tank are still ike 8$ each... do bulbs in the 2700K range still...
  4. J

Anyone have apistogrammas in Ann Arbor area?

YO! Hey Matt! yeah, I'll be home tomorrow. Sorry I didn't get back tonight. 'm looking forward to it too! Its too bad I had so many obligations to fill today and yesterday or else I would have been back last sunday! Oh well, the Lord knows wassup... I ended up getting back from work at...
  5. J

Hey! how come I don't hear more about power compact screw in bulbs? The kinds you can buy at your local hard ware store. I bought some 19W pc 6500K bulbs from home depot a while back, and put them above my 10g tank. (that's 3.8 watts per gallon, yeah, with some CO2) The first amazing thing...
  6. J

Anyone have apistogrammas in Ann Arbor area?

If anyone has apistogrammas or any other kind of South American dwarf cichlid and you live in the Ann Arbor area, hook me up! I haven't found any at the stores in the area, and I really would enjoy raising some of them and breeding them. -Josh
  7. J

What in the tank makes water harder?

want to make it harder I had my water tested at a store, and it came up to about 0 KH. wassup with that? how is that possible? The PH is fine, so it's not a big problem. Does the hardness itself affect fish? how can I change it to be harder? Some crushed coral? calcium carbonate of some...
  8. J

thank you my angel

prices and patterns I've been wondering... How much do you usually purchase angels for (or see them sold for) and what kinds of patterns are your favorites on the angels. In my area, they are usually between $5-$10 for a nice specimen. My favorite patterns are the ones that look like...
  9. J

thank you my angel

water quality: Hmm... My water quality in the 30g tank is very good. Also in the 10g tank. Both have cycled long ago, and had plenty of biomass to keep up the bacteria colonies. (snails, dying plants, etc...) I think probably what was happening is in line with what gutterguppy was...
  10. J

thank you my angel

A few weeks back I bought 3 small angel fish. They were beautifull, nice fins, cool patterns. I bought them from Petco in my area. I put them into my 30 gallon tank which has been free of fish for a while (aka, no possible diseases in there) A few days later, the biggest and healthiest was...
  11. J

Wow, I didn't realize how different the tank would look with descent lighting.

6500k Bulbs What were those bulbs called? I definately need to get a couple of them. I usually pay about 6-8$ per bulb for plant and aquarium lights, or daylight bulbs. $5 for two 6500K's would rock! -Josh
  12. J

Wow, I didn't realize how different the tank would look with descent lighting.

It's amazing! one minute you can think nothing is wrong. then the next, some real light reveals all the dark places, and then there is such a change that you can barely believe that you thought what was there before was light! NJ did you get the fluourescent tubes from HD? or just the light...
  13. J

Ideas for a new 10 gallon tank

10 Gallon beauty I've got a 10g set up nicely with a AC mini, 1 gallon CO2, and plants up the wazoo. Regular old gravel. I'd like some fluourite An incandescent hood with 2 19W powercompact 6500K light bulbs from Consumer Electric! (3.8 Watts per gallon baby!) 7 baby Cherry barbs for...
  14. J

You won't believe this, a tale of death and birth

I saw a small cherry barb swimming in the clear tube that goes to the undergravel filter plate. I could not believe my eyes! It was a small cherry barb, it had obviously ben born in the last month or two. I uncapped the undergravel tube (the UGF hasn't been in use for a year at least) and...
  15. J

So he wants a piranha

sounds like good advice what ya'll are saying sounds right. I'd actually rather have something a little more outrageous that will be smarter and less dangerous. I'm not all about keeping a school of them cos the food bill's gonna get pricey. Plus I like my fingernails to be on my fingers so...
  16. J

So he wants a piranha

I've got an empty 29 gallong fish tank full of water and a few plants (being filtered of course). One of my roomates wants to put piranhas in it. What do you guys think about them? Are they interesting aquarium subjects, or are they just novel becuase they eat stuff like crazy? Would a...
  17. J

Breeding Acaras

so what's the deal? so what's the deal? How are the baby fish looking? Any free swimmers? are the parents doing good? wassup in the hood? -Josh
  18. J

Mattenfilter

I totally want to try! It sounds great. I want to try it, but I have no idea what kind of sponge pad is used... where do you get it from? I'm really intrigued with this idea. I've never heard of such a thing before. I'm a little skeptical about how well it will work. first for cost...
  19. J

Algae and Nutrient balance

Exams Are you a professor over there in Georgia? If so, what do you teach? The GSI's (graduate student instructors) here proctor most of the tests, and they were pretty cheery today. I think they were glad to be almost done with the term. Ironically my final exam was a freshman...
  20. J

Peat Filtering and South American Water

Does using peat color your water to a yellowish brown color? -Josh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store