Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. VanQvreef

'Instant' cycle using livesand, is it possible?

Yep, had a pretty significant bloom, and still some macroalgae left. But turbo snails and emerald crabs keeping things cleaned. This is my second set up, and it surprises me that I didn't have and still don't have any numbers in Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites or phospate. Maybe this livesand...
  2. VanQvreef

'Instant' cycle using livesand, is it possible?

I have had my RSM 130d set up for over 5 weeks. I started with 30lb of uncured live rock and Livesand from Nature's Ocean as recommended by my LFS. I have not had an ammonia of higher than .3, it's now 0 as well as never having any Nitrites or Nitrates. I have a clean up crew that has been...
  3. VanQvreef

The AC hitchhiker ID thread (now thumbnailed)

My aquarium has been set up for approx 1 month now. And I remember this from the last time I set up a system. In the evening there seems to be a ton of particulate matter floating through the tank. And then there are herds of small creatures on the glass. They look like daphnia and are very...
  4. VanQvreef

AquaScaping

Thank you. I have done the minimal contact with sand and left lots of areas for water to flow through. But I find it difficult to find a pleasing display, and allow for places for corals to be added. I think I might have to remove a few pieces of live rock if I add corals attached to rocks of...
  5. VanQvreef

For those with algae...

Really? I had an urchin for a couple of years and my coralline algae was thick in my tank. I dont think the urchin touched my cor algae at all. It was a spectacular scavenger in my tank. I just started my second tank and urchin was first on my list for scavenger crew. I will have to watch how...
  6. VanQvreef

AquaScaping

Aquascaping is the bane of my existence. I never feel happy with the way things are organized in my tank. One thing that bothers me is do you just pack all the live rock together in a mass in the middle (which can look great) and risk dead spots for watermovement. Or try and keep as few points...
  7. VanQvreef

Cycling Methods & Procedures

So over 2 weeks into my set up of my RSM 130d. This is my second go at a reef system. The Biocube I had last time I used cured rock (as well as 2 damsels..oops) and the system cycled to a high ammonia level and settled very quickly. This time I am using uncured rock and after 2 weeks the...
  8. VanQvreef

WHATS EVERYBODY DRIVING THESE DAYS!?!?.....POST PICS. OF YOUR "HOOPTIES" HERE

Gave up my car 2 years ago and now with car sharing program. Don't pay for gas, insurance, maintenance or expensive parking. And use car for only a couple of hours or a day, CHEAP. Best thing, get to choose what I want to drive. Mazda, Toyota prius, Tacoma truck or Corolla, BMW mini, Audi, Ford...
  9. VanQvreef

A good cleanup crew

My last set up I had two emerald crabs. They were incredible at ridding the tank of algae, and leaving the corals to be. Until the one just tripled in size and then it liked knocking things over. But it was a character and knew when I came to feed some plant materials. I am going to look for...
  10. VanQvreef

aptasia

Had an 'outbreak' of these beasts last year and one shy unassuming peppermint shrimp devoured them all in a week. Setting up my new system I wouldn't hesitate to add a peppy shrimp if I see these unwanted weed anemones again.
  11. VanQvreef

advice on first tank needed

Well, I moved recently and took down my Biocube 29. It was alright, but it had a dead space that was built into the back that I couldn't clean, and I had problems after about 1 year with keeping it healthy. But I like the all-in one, I have the money and don't have the time, so just set up my...
  12. VanQvreef

A Guide to Clean-Up Crews

urchin algae mowing machine! I was always against adding urchins to the tank as I thought they were boring and ugly. Well, I changed my mind and my favorite denizen is now my ORANGE, Purple, and deep green urchin who is cleaning the algae from my rocks quicker than my 4 turbo snails, 2 emerald...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store