Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. A

background

once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
  2. A

Cooling an Aquarium

The fluorescents might not break because of water, but you should probably try to keep something in between the lights and the water because if water can get at the bulb, it can probably get into the electrical contacts, which would not be good.
  3. A

Plants less likely to be eaten?

I'd say it's a good time to make a pond in the backyard.
  4. A

Hardy shoaling fish?

Fancy guppies have not been bred for their tolerance to water conditions... they have been extensively bred for looks, and when you do that, you always lose other positive traits. The original (wild guppies) are some of the most adaptable fish out there, and they won't care much about water...
  5. A

What's Up With This Guppy?

i've seen females even more "bloated" looking just from being pregnant, but I don't remember the scales ever sticking out like that. I think it's dropsy.
  6. A

Filtration in a plants-only tank?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.... Do you need filtration in a heavily planted tank that has no fish or other macroscopic critters?
  7. A

Growing plants on driftwood

Cool. Do you think the plants would attach to a hole drilled in stone?
  8. A

Anacharis and water temp

Not sure where you live, but if you're in a temperate climate, get it from a lake or river near you. The stuff in the LFS may be a tropical variety (it SHOULD be anyway). I'd think that the temperate variety would be more adapted to a pond.
  9. A

I found my digicam.

Cabomba Boom! Just keep enough light on that stuff!
  10. A

BETTAS do they like 100% WC

Filter. If the tanks are next to each other, you might even be able to connect them with a water bridge (siphon tube) and use a single filter. Fish don't like change. They like stability. Stability with less than perfect conditions is probably better than perfectly clean with frequent...
  11. A

fish gasping for air

Maybe the acclimatization of the old fish did not go so well. Was it mostly the old fish that died?
  12. A

My first test results (pics attached)

They look good. By the way, remember the beneficial bacterial live on the tank surfaces, so don't too TOO much cleaning! I wouldn't worry much about the cloudy water. If it's cloudy green then it's algae - decrease the wattage or time of lighting or get more plants or decrease the phosphates...
  13. A

Carbon or No Carbon?

Carbon in the tank will remove most of the pollutants that you may be adding with your tap water, so it is not really the same as doing more water changes, unless you are using distilled water. RO water may still contain organic polutants, btw. Your tank health depends a lot on the quality of...
  14. A

Yippee, My Plants Are Maturing!

I know with terrestrial plants, some will grow under 24 hour light. Some need varying amounts of darkness every day. I can only assume aquatic plants have the same variability.
  15. A

Growing plants on driftwood

skeletonhand, that is a nice stump. Is the val growing out of it? or just behind it? Do you have soil inside it?
  16. A

Help with a guppy...

Maybe he got injured somehow?
  17. A

Trapping Fish?

why would it kill labyrinth fishes?
  18. A

Illegal GM Fish in the UK - just arrived!!!

The fish were not modified for hobby or pleasure, but for environmental research reasons. In case you don't know, this is done every day by biologists... the difference here is that the organisms normally aren't marketed to the public, unless they are beneficial (for example, more nutritious...
  19. A

The fish don't last?!?

Guppies (at least, wild ones) can tolerate 1.5x sea water, if acclimated. So if you had guppies die, I don't think it was the salt water. Can you describe your tank more? What kind of filter, what kind of gravel, what kind of aeration? any other rocks or ornaments?
  20. A

shelf live carbon cartridges and tests?

Carbon will adsorb chemicals out of the air too, so if they haven't been kept sealed, they might not be good anymore. If they were in closed containers or bags, I'd use them.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store