Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. maxthedog123

Moving anacharis from pond inside

OK, I am resurrecting my own thread. I haven't had the time or energy to find potassium permanganate. I do have several bottles of 3% hydrogen peroxide on hand. I've read that can be used to disinfect plants. Any suggestions on method - what is the right dilution? How long in the dip?
  2. maxthedog123

I do have Lowes and Menards - I will try those, thanks for the suggestion. Allaboutfish - I went to Walmart to look for the Clear Water. They had pretty much every Jungle Labs product except that. They had the pond version, but I hadn't read enough to know if it is the same composition as the...
  3. maxthedog123

THanks for the reply - I'll try that recipe. Still having trouble finding any around me, however.
  4. maxthedog123

Still hoping someone can give me the recipe for potassium permanganate dip. I bought a few sprigs of anacharis at the LFS tonight. I thought I'd see how it grows in the Walstad tank before I start sterilizing plants.
  5. maxthedog123

I am going to look around for potassium permanganate. I keep seeing varying recipes - what is the right mixture? How long to soak plants? Is rinsing in tap water OK? Also - I see that Jungle Labs Clear Water is pretty much the same thing in a liquid. Seems easier to work with - any success...
  6. maxthedog123

I think I have read that Excel will melt them. So it's down to a quick bleach dip or the potassium stuff. Where do you get that? Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
  7. maxthedog123

Question for everyone: I have a pond outside my house (that I built) that has enough anacharis to plant 10 aquariums. The question is, can I use it in the aquariums I have inside? I know I am dealing with different bacteria, etc., but there is just too much to pass up. Would a simple rinse be...
  8. maxthedog123

What the heck just happened????

Complete with the HOF (hang on front) filter - the cleared up tank tonight. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. I will most likely give the filter another 48 hours.
  9. maxthedog123

Jannika - definitely an oxygen problem with the bacteria bloom. However, IMO, I don't think low tech = low oxygen once the biofilter stabilizes, especially with a tank with lots of plant mass.
  10. maxthedog123

This is the 46g that just had the crash. Note the bag of bio-balls from on of my canister filters in the front. True NPT tank - heater and powerhead only (temporary AQ20 HOB not withstanding). I went the next step with this one too - peace lilies are bog plants and are growing in the back.
  11. maxthedog123

Yeah fermentedhiker - you never know quite how long it is going to take for the soil to settle when it is submerged. My first attempt at NPT/Walstad/El Natural/Dutch Method was a complete and unadulterated disaster. I can give you more info on what went wrong if you would like. If anyone is...
  12. maxthedog123

Well, the fish are all the correct direction - stomach down - and swimming around this morning. The lights haven't come on yet, but it looks like he cloudiness is reduced. I'll know more in a bit. The $100 question - how long to leave the HOB on the tank and go back to "El Natural".
  13. maxthedog123

Obviously the HOB and carbon are a temp solution - this is a Walstad aquarium after all. Thanks for everyone's advice. The lights are off on the aquarium, so we will see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully the fish will be swimming and not licking the glass lid for oxygen.
  14. maxthedog123

Good point on temperature - I can dial it down a couple of degrees.
  15. maxthedog123

I found an AquaClear 20 and exactly one bag of carbon. I cleaned it, rinsed it, opened the lid and hung it on the front. I've never had a bacteria bloom in all of my years of fishkeeping. That's why when I saw it this morning, I was like "What the heck is that?"
  16. maxthedog123

I have other large Walstad tanks - it works great. I think the issue was the columnaris on the barbs last week. I treated with Maracyn-2 - which I've never ever had an issue with harming the biofilter. However, I think the tank may have been too new and the Maracyn-2 harmed what was a fragile...
  17. maxthedog123

I have API liquid test kits. The tank has been set up for about a month - I haven't had any nitrites in 3 weeks.
  18. maxthedog123

I may have an HOB filter - I'll have to look. Another idea - lower the water level down a couple of inches so the powerhead agitates the water.
  19. maxthedog123

No airstone within reach at the moment. Doing another 50% change - I agree, the fish are stressing. I'm going to double down on Prime this time with the water change.
  20. maxthedog123

Need advice - fish gasping Now the fish are gasping at the top again. It's been about 8 hours since the last water change. Do I keep changing water, or will that just encourage the bacteria bloom. Any other suggestions?
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store