Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. KnaveTO

is this brand a good food source for my plec and loaches

Here is your answer Fish meal as produced throughout the world is a very cheap potential Fish Protein Concentrate (FPC), but it is not intended for human consumption; it is used for making pig and poultry feeds for farming. Ordinary fish meal is unsuitable for human consumption for three...
  2. KnaveTO

is this brand a good food source for my plec and loaches

I do not know about Aquarian (only recently went up for sale here in Canada) however what are the top 5 or 6 ingredients. If the word 'fish meal' shows up I would stay away from it. I feed my fish Omega One and New Life Spectrum brands and both of them do not use any fish meal products, they...
  3. KnaveTO

Plecos and substrate

I have planted tanks so am using the Seachem Black Flourite Sand. Bit Pricy but for my tanks worth it. Also if you are going to have sand make sure you have some MTS in there as well to keep the sand moved around as they will help prevent pocklets of anaerobic gasses forming
  4. KnaveTO

Plecos and substrate

I find my plecos are better with the sand substrate than with the eco-complete. They are more active as well as they 'adjust' the sand to their liking
  5. KnaveTO

Awww...meet "Hoover"

I have to agree with you... after a count Hoover does have 10 rays (took a bit to verify with the pics) and the pics that I have seen of the disjunctivus are a **** close match http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=703
  6. KnaveTO

Ich present in tank with Ottos and RLPleco.. help

I have treated Pl*cos, Loaches and Cories with the following treatment regimine and never lost a one. Raise temperature to 84F Vaccuum substrate or base of tank and replace water Add aquarium salt at a ratio of 1tbsp per gallon in 1tbsp doses every hour be sure to dissolve the salt into a cup...
  7. KnaveTO

Pleco update

Hi there. Very nice pair of plecs there. Nugget looks to be a very nice specimin of an L177. As for French Fries he is not a King Tiger but a Tiger Pleco (L002 Panaque sp.). You can find out more information about them below in the links. Make sure that you have some nice good sized pieces of...
  8. KnaveTO

Awww...meet "Hoover"

I actually doubt that Hoover is a Pterygoplicthys paradalis as they traditionally have spots on their fins and not the lines like Hoover has. Furthermore without a full dorsal extension it is also a little hard to get a good idea as to species as well. I would post on www.plecofanatics.com and...
  9. KnaveTO

try a bristle-nose pleco for algae control?

You may want to consider adding Nitrates tou your dosing regime and do not add any more phosphate as it appears that you have a possible issue on that number there. If your city is adding phosphates to the water already you may be fine on that score without adding them to your fert regime.
  10. KnaveTO

King Tiger Pleco Q's.

Purchasing a pleco to consume algae in your tank is probably one of the worst reasons to buy one I have to say. Plecos require a varied diet of meat, wood and/or greens. Each species of them can require all three or only one or two of the aforemetioned. To think of them as a sole algae eater is...
  11. KnaveTO

Gold Nugget Pleco...Just bought... ICH.... Im Dumb

The only thing cooler temps will do with Ich is lengthen the time between the various stages of its' life cycle. That is why the most common treatment is to raise the temp to over 82F to speed up the lifecyle of the parasite as it is usually killable in only two of the 4 stages. Maintaining salt...
  12. KnaveTO

need some pleco help

First off every plec in my signature will stay under the size you are looking for. I would recomend that you research each one on www.planetcatfish.com I would also recomend no matter what that you stay away from the L046 Hypancistrus zebra (Zebra Plec) as most breeders will not sell to a...
  13. KnaveTO

Help-Pleco stopped eating

I have never heard of using epson salts to treat a pleco. I have used aquarium salt on the other hand to deal with ich and plecos and other scaleless type fish. I would recomend that you post on plecofanatics.com your questions as all the members there are well... pleco fanatics... lol sorry...
  14. KnaveTO

Well first off I will say what you are suggesting for the most part to do are all excellent processes to follow. It is very difficult to starve fish by the way. So when you are travelling for short (i.e. 7 days or less) periods of time you can actually not worry about having someone feed your...
  15. KnaveTO

Hong Kong Loach

sorry... pop in here infrequently. I have never had that species of loach so unfortunately don't really know too much about them. But the pictures author is a friend of mine actually (lives here in Toronto). Next time I catch him will ask about that feature of the loach.
  16. KnaveTO

Hong Kong Loach

Can you post a pic of your loach and the barbs you are talking about?
  17. KnaveTO

Let me first off state that plecos should never be purchased for algae control. Yes they do eat algae but they also need a lot of other stuff in their diet to be healthy. Some pecies require meat, some require greens, some require wood and all of them don't subside on algae alone. Furthermore...
  18. KnaveTO

Color changing pleco???

You obviously very much got a jeuvenile. The biggest growth spurt is over, however they can grow upwards to 18" over their 10-15year lifespan
  19. KnaveTO

Hong Kong Loach

not sure what you are talking about there. Will have to take a peek at mine in the next couple of days and see.
  20. KnaveTO

Otos and cherry shrimp?

I have oto's and red cherry shrimp in my 50gal along with plecos and cories and they all get along well... infact I have to take shrimp out of the tank every so often to keep the popuplation under control. As for feeding all bottom feedeers compete for the same food, the excess that falls when...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store