Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. C

FREE angelsfish, cories, etc - Windsor, NY - pickup only

I have a 60 gallon tank that will be moved shortly. I need to give away the fish in it. They are: 5 angelfish - all adults, 2 gold marbles (mated pair), 1 black superveil male, 2 german blue veils 3 peppered cories (1 known female) 1 nothobranchius guentheri male tons of mts snails the...
  2. C

Breeding kribs :D

The fry will most likely be eaten by the other fish. If you want to save them you should move the eggs, not the young hatchlings. Newly hatched fish, like human babies are fragile. The better solution would be to move either the breeders into a new tank or remove all other fish before the eggs...
  3. C

tank not level!!! help

Try to get a properly sized top frame and brace.If you know the tank's manufacturer they may be willing to help. The hard part will be removing the old one. Please be very careful there. After dryfitting the new top frame then remove it and adhere with silicone for aquarium use. Takes about...
  4. C

Cloudy Water Woes

I would turn off filtration for just a few hours to give the particulate a chance to settle. Follow that with a good water change then turn filters back on. Should then resolve in just a few days.
  5. C

Slate Rock Question

I would soak it for a few days changeing the water every day. If there are any chemicals on to outside of the rock they should dissolve and be removed when you change the water. You do not know where it has been, that's the question. I live about 10 miles east of Binghamton and use slate pieces...
  6. C

tank not level!!! help

The level issue is one thing but I would be more concerned about the missing center brace. To fix either or both problems you will need to empty the tank. Sorry to hear about the issues. Charlie
  7. C

starving angel!!

Snails can work out well. The key is to remember the factors contributing to excessive algae - overfeeding and the resultant poor water quality. As food decomposes nitrogen compounds are produced. Think of these as algae food. The ways to control this are partial water changes and reduced...
  8. C

Can you help sex my angelfish?

The head bump is called a bucchal hump and is usually found in matured males (after several years). I do not see that in your pictures. Charlie
  9. C

help with angelfish breeding

Getting a mated pair is really not that difficult. Just buy 6 or so young fish that are in good health and let them grow out together. From that size group you should get 1 or more pairs. The main "trick" is to provide excellent conditions. If they are well fed and have excellent water quality...
  10. C

What fish have you bred?

Kribs (back in the 1950's), guppies, convicts, angels, swords, platies, mollies, zebra danios, tiger barbs, cory's for the freshwater side. On the marine side, damsels, yellow tangs, dwarf angels, clowns, corals, and the upside down jelly (Casseopia). Charlie
  11. C

Instant Tea?

Why even bother if there is a chance for problems? Charlie
  12. C

Might be getting a larger tank, what to do with my current stock?

If you move the stock you already have to the larger tank they will be much happier and will behave even more naturally. One hint, move them all into the new tank at the same time. Use the substrate in the 2 existing tanks to get the biofilter running quickly. I would avoid the oscar. It limits...
  13. C

Anglefish in hardwater?

The hard water is not a problem, unless you mean extremely hard (almost solid). Our local municipal water is quite hard and my angels do very well and even spawn. I have not tried to hatch the eggs - no space for that. If you want to breed them then the hard water may be an issue.
  14. C

Changing from gravel to sand..Questions!

Changeing is the easy part of the process. Cleaning up the dust that invariably will cloud the water can sometimes cause you more stress than the fish. I would turn off the filters for a few hours unless the tank is overstocked. This will let some of the dust settle. After that do a few partial...
  15. C

Senior Citizen Angels

I would be careful in adding new angels to an established setup. The older angels have probably established territories and will defend them against intruders. If you want to add more angels I would suggest completely rearranging the tank just before releasing the new ones. That way no one has...
  16. C

Should she stay or should she go?

What the crowding has done is eliminate her ability to secure a territory for herself (in her case the entire tank). If you want to keep her, you may need to keep the overstock you now have. Be sure to do the maintenance things and keep a spare heater around during the winter in case one fails...
  17. C

Add a 4th or?

If your trio are well established and getting along adding new fish may be a problem. To help reduce aggression try rearranging the tank just before introduning new fish. Then they all will need to establish territories.
  18. C

Should she stay or should she go?

If you want to add a few new angels please understand that unless they are full grown they will get beat up a bit. Some may even be killed. A critical point is your tank size and the other inhabitants - can the tank handle more. If tank size is not an issue, rearrange the decor just before...
  19. C

High Nitrate

25% water changes is not too much and could even be done everyday if you wanted. I regularly travel for business so my tank gets a slightly atrange regimen. When I am away the water changes are 0% (only for a few days). When I return the tank gets 1/3 water changes for 3 days and then a much...
  20. C

Snails getting bad

Snail populations are, to a degree, self regulating. If their food supply is reduced the snail population will decline over a bit of time. Rather than go the chemical or snail assasin route, simply maintain a very clean tank. The food supply will decrease as will their numbers. It will also be a...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store