Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. T

Why don't they sell java moss?

I'm having the same problem. It's impossible to find java moss in stores. I don't think the lfs wants to sell you plants that will survive forever; they want to sell you ones that can die so you have to come back and buy more...
  2. T

White Fuzz in Tank????

A while ago in a tank no-longer used I had the same problem. I used a fungus cure and it removed the unknown white fluff fast. I don't know if diatoms die from fungucides... do they?
  3. T

New with Beta's. Is he shy?

Summary: Bettas are like humans; they all have different personalities. Some like moving around a lot, others are the lazy type. Sometimes they just need time to adjust. Their environment, surroundings, and past experiences will all affect how they act, but nothing's written in stone.
  4. T

Odd Mates????

A Molly and Platy cannot mate, they are two different species. But that doesnt mean an eager male won't try.
  5. T

Betta is trying to commit suicide?

Bettas have long flowy fins and dont live naturally in current waters; how long was he in the original tank? If he was recently put in there he might jsut need adjusting time...
  6. T

Snails playing dead?

Snails might hide in their shell for a day or two due to stress, but for much longer they'll risk starving. Here's a bulletproof test: take one out and smell it. If it smells like a rotten egg, then it's time to remove them from the tank.
  7. T

gill flukes?

no new fish. The amount of fish infected are few, so i don't think it has to do with any chemical imbalances in the water. just a few gasping wherever they seclude themselves.
  8. T

gill flukes?

25G tank 3 ADF, 3 tetras that look like hatchetfish but arent..., 5 Neon Tetras, 1 gold Danio, 2 zebra danios, 3 kuhli loaches, 1 siamese algae eater, 1 rainbow shark, 1 miscellaneous fish that i have no idea what it is. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 22 nitrite. lots of plants.
  9. T

gill flukes?

A few days ago I woke up to find one of my neon tetras breathing iregularly in a corner. His gills were inflamed and his mouth would open and close quite quickly. now a few danios are showing the same symptoms -inflamed gills, irregular mouth movement, and the danios are really darting around...
  10. T

shrimp bye bye?

what kind of shrimp are they? when dead, most of them have nowhere near the same color as they were alive (much paler) and its rare a betta would pick one clean.
  11. T

What fish would go good with 4 danio zebras?

you could add a couple other danios of different colors -gold danios, for example, look nice with the zebras. But I agree with Winterwind. The fish are very active, and like to chase, but I've never seen any of my danios actually nip the fin of another, so anything that wouldnt be stressed from...
  12. T

Guppy Had Babies

if the offspring is spotted by the larger guppies, they will be eaten. theres much more space in their natural habitat, along with plenty of hiding space. if you want them to survive, youll need a separate tank for them, and youll need to buy some fry food.
  13. T

Summer heat

Well, it's summer now (yipee), but unfortunately, my house isnt air conditioned. I only have 2 tanks with fish in them right now, a 20 gallon currently with 2 zebra danios, 2 gold danios, 3 harlequin rasboras, 3 ADFs, a guppy, some ghost shrimp and a rainbow shark. the other tank is just a 5gal...
  14. T

But where, oh where, do they come from?

Yea wait a second. Now that i think of it, i learned about this stuff in grade 10 science ecology. Theres plenty of nitrogen in the atmosphere, the bacteria is airborne.
  15. T

Java fern

I find that java ferns do better in soft water. in fact, i had the same problem when mine were in hard water. they turned blackish in patches and died. is it buried in substrate?
  16. T

But where, oh where, do they come from?

im gonna take a swing at this -since bacteria needs nourishment to sustain itself, like us, im guessing they stay around their original food source; pooh, and the substrate the pooh rests on. so to make it into the aquarium, they may live naturally in the animals' digestive tracks... but that...
  17. T

New 55 gal and plants

daveedka wrote a great article all about snails in the article corner -if you're up for a short read you should check it out. i personally have never had a snail problem. they arrise mainly when you overfeed and I'm actually quite cheery about the small amounts of snails roaming around in the tank.
  18. T

Does what the fish eat affect the color of poo?

if the shark is flashing on gravel that would suggest a possibility of external parasites, which would have nothing to do with internal parasites (stupid question on my behalf) I also heard they have a lot of nutrition left over after eating food, and with their stomachs the size of their...
  19. T

Does what the fish eat affect the color of poo?

when i feed some of my fish assorted flakes (which have a difference in color; red, yellow, green, orange) sometimes i notice pooh which is tinted towards those colors. when i had a few guppies in quarantine a few weeks ago, one had massive stringy pooh hanging out of it, some of the pooh...
  20. T

Continuing ICH treatment

because ich is so contagious, and theres a fair amount of stress on the fish when transferring through tanks, it probably would have been better not to remove them into their own tank at all. what temperature is your tank? their life cycle is sped up in higher temperatures, so salt treatment...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store