Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. rdfriend

Snowflake vs. Chainlink eel

As you can see by my setup I have a chainlink eel with a humu trigger, dog faced puffer, dragon wrasse, 2 tomato clowns and although I haven't updated as of yet I have recently added a porcupine puffer that I caught recently in my cast net while fishing and I have not had any problems with any...
  2. rdfriend

FREE 2 chocolate chip starfish, Seminole, Fl. (Pinellas County) PU/possible delivery only

I have 2 choco stars that I would like to give away. They were trying to eat my anemone in my 56 and would most likely get eaten in my 125. 727-365-3607
  3. rdfriend

Catch and Release or Keep

I usually only wade in saltwater and I keep all fish that are edible and of legal size and bag limit. Anything else I release as careful as possible. Just this week I brought home 3 nice macs and a trout. YUM! Also a porcupine puffer caught in my cast net that is now in my 125g.
  4. rdfriend

30 Gal,FOWLR,Newbie,Help

Sounds like a great start! If your live rock was fully cured you will probably not get an actual cycle which comes from decaying matter. Your best bet would be to add a raw shrimp in pantyhose or some fine mesh bag weighted to the sand. As it decays and creates ammonia the cycle will begin. The...
  5. rdfriend

30 Gal,FOWLR,Newbie,Help

I agree om the refractometer, I've never regretted the $75 I spent on mine. Since you are starting the tank, if you can't get cured rock the uncured rock will help cycle it. I also like the maxi-jets and you can add the sure-flow mod kit which will give you best bang for your buck IMO. With fish...
  6. rdfriend

Rimless tanks risky?

I don't know anything about rimless tanks but both of my tanks are open top and even with 2 cats and 5 dogs I don't have any problems with hair or dust. Neither cat is of a really hairy type and the dogs are all small but I also have tile floors and a ceiling fan above and in front of the tanks...
  7. rdfriend

Evaporation and topping off

Yes you should be using fresh RO water. The only real rule I can think of other than it be RO is that you should do it as needed, meaning not to let it get too low as it will raise your salinity and then when you top off, the more water that you add will cause more of a change and so possibly...
  8. rdfriend

Wrasse for my FOWLR tank?

Your tank is very similar in stock to mine.
  9. rdfriend

Marine Background Stories

I have always had a love of animals and have had many different kinds of pets over the years but had not really seriously considered having a saltwater tank. I have always been fascinated by them and a good friend of mine had one at one time but went through many dead fish so I never dived in...
  10. rdfriend

What kind of water do you use?

I get RO water weekly from an LFS. 20g salt for changes and 10g fresh for top off.
  11. rdfriend

Cycle done in 9 days???

Well, I don't believe that the ammonia and nitrite should just go away without the proper bacteria so sounds like a cycle. I'd just start off slow with one fish at a time and see how it goes. Also, it would probably be best to start off with a hardier species such as a clown, in case you get a...
  12. rdfriend

Cycle done in 9 days???

I probably should have read your post more closely but if your tank is cycled having your ammonia and nitrites at 0 is normal but I don't believe your nitrates would go to zero without a water change so I'm not sure about that. Maybe someone else has some input. Did you removed the shrimp before...
  13. rdfriend

Cycle done in 9 days???

Since I started in this hobby a little over 2 years ago I have cycled 5 tanks. None of them have ever taken more than 2 weeks and with no adverse effects.
  14. rdfriend

i just lost one of my percs

It's quite possible. I have mated a pair of ocellaris and a pair tomatoes. Both times I added a smaller one to a tank where the larger one was already established, which I read may be key. Each time it didn't seem like they were going to mate up because the larger one would pick on the smaller...
  15. rdfriend

Banner Cardinal or Bonzai Cardinal?!?!?!?!

Funny and sad at the same time. Sorry about your loss. Last night while feeding the tank my chain link eel start slithering out and I had to grab him and toss him back in. I already had one commit suicide before I added egg crate to the top. You are right...never a dull moment in this hobby.
  16. rdfriend

Question about bio-load

Thanks for the response! That's the answer I was hoping for.
  17. rdfriend

How much heat should an external pump make?

I have a Gen-x pcx30 that has been running for a little over two years and it gets fairly hot also. I think that as long as it is not smoking or smelling like it's burning it should be okay.
  18. rdfriend

Question about bio-load

Does anybody know how long a fully established tank can remain viable after all livestock has been removed. I have a 30g tank with 30lbs live rock, 3" sand bed and a couple of small hermits that has been running with filter and flow but empty of fish for about 3 weeks. Would it be safe to start...
  19. rdfriend

can i keep two puffers in a 125g?

I have been a salty for a little over 2 years and a member of this site for a little under 2 years so still a noob in the grand scope of things. Personally I feel that Ace is one of the more informative members and I do feel that personal experience carries more weight than info from an LFS or...
  20. rdfriend

Tank topper question?

I use eggcrate on top of my 125 because I have a dragon wrasse and chainlink eel, both known to leave a tank. I have already lost one chainlink to accidental suicide. Although I'm sure that it does diffuse the light somewhat, I don't notice a large reduction. My lighting is the 432 watt 8 bulb...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store