Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. S

Some Fish Best Left Alone

Not everyone has a 55g tank, and not every road has the same speed limit. Just a little bit of humor ;)
  2. S

Ramming

Crushed coral is probably what he heard. Crushed coral is used in african rift lake cichlid tanks because it helps maintain a high KH level(carbonate concentration) which keeps the pH buffered at around 8.4 iirc? Whole coral could be used as well, I guess.
  3. S

The problem with placing this responsibility with the retailers lies in the fact that people become complacent. They don this sort-of puffy feel-good cloak that they think protects them from anything bad. "Are you sure that fish is ok to bring home?" "Of course! The guy at the store wouldn't...
  4. S

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHATS IN THIS PRODUCT ?

Not wasted, just pointless. Then again, maybe I'm the only one who knows what a domain whois is.
  5. S

What? Cars won't die, because they're not alive, but driven to their capacity they can and DO kill(facilitate death, if you will). I didn't bring that up for the sake of the cars, lol. How many HUMANS have been killed by their giant pacu mistake? A far more compelling argument to the general...
  6. S

I just have a problem with this way of thinking. By this line, you could never responsibly sell something that you didn't know EVERYTHING about, because you might be selling it under less than ideal circumstances. That sort of thinking would exclude untold numbers of products from shelves, and...
  7. S

The issue of going fast itself is not the problem. You can go 100mph and not be exceeding the speed limit if, say, you're on a racetrack. Your pacu could live a fine life in captivity, but not in a 29g tank. The issue isn't the speed or the size, but rather whether or not they are UNIVERSALLY...
  8. S

Hey, at least you're willing to admit it.
  9. S

Should nearly every car on the road be banned because it can FAR exceed the speed limit, something totally unnecessary for the average joe?
  10. S

My point about the small model shop is that he should no more be afforded automatic trust, or be taken as the only existing source of information, than petsmart or walmart should. You acknowledge this yourself by giving the example of LFS's who have been around for a long time, won awards, have...
  11. S

I don't see the product *itself* mentioned at the k&a imports site...confusion :/ Really though, it's just an oily gel that prevents air from being between your background and the tank. $10 says veg. oil works just as well, albeit slightly more cleanup time.
  12. S

fry safe with?

I always like the idea of a snail for a child. A snail is the one thing that can actually be touched in your aquarium. (Even though my shrimp go *Far* out of their way to touch ME!)
  13. S

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+6635+18280&pcatid=18280 "Completely nontoxic - use SeaView with freshwater or saltwater aquariums, whether glass or acrylic"
  14. S

'Python' aquarium cleaning system??

DIY python = 1 long hose, two people
  15. S

Hey, I know that shop, remember Larry from Woolworths? Yeah, he owns it. Doesn't seem like a great place for advice now, does it? Don't let the trappings fool you. Buying a store doesn't require any knowledge of the products you put in it.
  16. S

"But the shop lied to me!" This is a legal issue which already has an in-place solution. This situation has absolutely nothing to do with aquaria in general, and really doesn't belong in this dicussion. The facts are very simple here; If you enter a retail establishment to purchase something...
  17. S

Heaviliy planted tank planting living or dead?

As long as some of the plant grows above or to the canopy, it will survive. If not *all* of the light is blocked, plants will survive. Any parts of the plant that are below the canopy and receiving no light will likely shed their leaves and appear "dead", but the plant itself is still alive...
  18. S

Everyone keeps saying things like "I'd support a licensing scheme." or "Let's introduce some sort of permit requirement for selling fish.", but have any of you stopped to consider the cost? This isn't something that you'll pay for at the pet store, but rather something everyone will somehow...
  19. S

Flashing?

^^^ Yup. As mentioned, it's basically itchyness. Just like you, if you're itchy here and there, or itchy because you touch something in a weird way or whatever, that's normal. If you're itchy all over and can't stop scratching, that's a problem. Edit; Treed. I'll leave it as is though, for...
  20. S

Right, but the only thing this place is good for is empowering the consumer. That only happens if the consumer takes responsibility. If the consumer feels it's not his or her responsibility, but rather the retailer's, what then? That's my point.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store