Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. N

Amano shrimp lifespan?

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I saw one of my amano shrimp today after not seeing them for a long time. I put 2 of them in my tank in in March 2008 and saw it today which makes it more than 4 years old. I have no idea how old it was when I got it.
  2. N

What is this new thing?

dragonfly larva. Can eat small fish from what I've read.
  3. N

Do Pest snails eat plants

It's true there isn't much algae in this tank except for the black brush kind which nobody seems to be eating. But I have seen the MTS hanging off the java fern leaves. That's why I suspect them.
  4. N

Do Pest snails eat plants

In one of my tanks the ramshorns would eat live and healthy frogbit. In my shrimp tank something is eating my needleleaf java fern, the healthy leaves. I have MTS, ramshorns and a nerite in there. I'm not positive but I think the MTS are doing it. There are a few large ones in there.
  5. N

????

Describe the "white substance". Is it all over its body? Is it spots? Does it look cottony or slimy, etc.?
  6. N

????

Yes, it could be a disease. Please describe the "white substance" or better yet, post a picture of it.
  7. N

cherry barbs fin nipping tetras

Yes, in general it's a good idea to introduce the more peaceful fish first and the more aggressive ones later.
  8. N

Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) questions

Check out some of the earlier posts in this thread.
  9. N

How to apply a background?

Correct. The back outside, not inside.
  10. N

The goo/oil/vaseline makes the background stick to the back of the tank. That makes the background look much brighter. Yes, you spread it all over (lightly), lay the background on it and then use some flat, smooth piece of plastic to rub all the bubbles out. Start from the middle and ork your...
  11. N

I've used Vaseline jelly instead of the oil and it has worked pretty well. It's held well except a little curling in the corners. There is also some product which is made just for this purpose. An alternative to the background rolls is spray painting. One one tank I spray painted the back...
  12. N

Ground covering plants

The mesh can be bought at arts and crafts stores such as Michaels here in the states. Look in the needlepoint section of the store. There are other similar materials which can be bought at hardware stores. This also works with Java moss. Here a link I found...
  13. N

All My Tanks

Thanks for compliments. I've left the 65 alone for a while now so it's really overgrown. I need to give a trimming soon. The vals have died back a bit and there's a lot more java moss. And yes those are kuhlis. They're known as black kuhlis. I think they look bigger in the picture than they...
  14. N

Hrm...Suggestions?

My recommendation would be to stay low tech. It's cheaper and I think requires less maintenance (trimming). I have a 65g, 1.4 wpg, no CO2, no ferts. My plants grow like crazy but of course I stick with the easy to grow low light ones. Unless you absolutely have to have some higher light plants...
  15. N

Hrm...Suggestions?

Before getting more plants, also consider what types of fish you plan to stock. Some types of fish don't go well with plants. Many cichlids will tear them up.
  16. N

kuhli loaches

Many locahes do eat shrimp but the shrimp should be OK with khulis. I have kuhlis and cherry shrimp in my tank.
  17. N

What would happen if...

What I've read is that they will breed back to their wild coloration which is basically clear/gray with brown spots. http://www.planetinverts.com/Neocaridina_Heteropoda.html
  18. N

bubba the bettas worst nightmare

Nice tank. I like those paintings in the back also. Who did those?
  19. N

Craigslist ftw

Nice find. I don't think that's going to fit into any stockings. You'll just have to wrap it and put it under the tree.
  20. N

freshwater shrimp questions......

Yes, I was. Thanks for the correction. But if I'm not mistaken, their care is about the same as the red cherries.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store