Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. F

What is the best way to get rid of Cynobacteria?

That rational is wrong. CO2 and ferts enable vascular plants to outcompete algae. If adding CO2 and ferts resulted in a major increase algae growth, it means that the balance between ferts, CO2, and lighting is off in your tank. More information, including info about your lighting, tank size...
  2. F

Frosty's 10 Gallon

Update. I simplified the scape to reduce trimming maintenance.
  3. F

Photos:Thai Micro Crabs

I love the crabs, and I love the clown killies in that tank too! Im jealous.
  4. F

HOT DANG...Surprise Apisto Spawn

Congrats! I really hope some survive. Are you going to seperate them?
  5. F

The Peacock Gudgeon Aquarium [Journal]

The PVC is ugly, I know. How old are your fish? Mine went right into the PVC within two days of me adding it, and they spawned immediately. I'm sure they'll figure it out. Give them some time.
  6. F

WTB Live Food - Shipped to Danville, PA

I have walter worms, but they're also too small for adult peacocks. Speaking from experience, they LOVE frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. Feed them that and some staple dry food, and you'll be set.
  7. F

Just to clarify... while they definitely do not bother other species, they can be aggressive toward each other. In very close quarters (aka an overstocked tank full of peacock gudgeons), they can and will fight to the death, especially when breeding. I've even witnessed my females sparring...
  8. F

One inch in diameter, and four inches long. Try to get caps to put at the end of the tube, so that when you can easily pick up the tube (with eggs and water inside) to move into a fry rearing tank. They should sell one inch caps for the PVC at Home Depot or wherever. Having a flashlight to...
  9. F

Just wanted to let you know that I got my second successful batch of fry (after losing about 10 batches! its tricky knowing exactly when to seperate them from the male). I added the newborns to my old batches and now I have almost 80 peacock gudgeon fry ranging in age from 3 weeks to two days...
  10. F

clownin

Gorgeous. Did you get these from Frank? Any luck breeding them?
  11. F

Tank looked good today

It looks great. Nice job.
  12. F

Thinking of going Planted

I agree with Customdrum, and I'd suggest at least 1.5 wpg of T-5 lighting, or CF if you prefer. If you have a decent hood, you can buy a retrofit kit with new ballasts, etc, and rig it together yourself. But most likely, you are looking at a $100 investment, give or take. To answer your...
  13. F

Lights and pinholes in my plants.

Plants growing under low light still need nutrients to grow and also to maintain their existing leaves. Perhaps increase your dosage? Note that Leaf zone contains some micronutrients and potassium, but no nitrate or phosophorus (the other building blocks for plants). I've also had pinholes...
  14. F

Frosty's 10 Gallon

Some pics from the tank today. They started breeding again today. I'm so not ready for another batch of fry! Females: Male:
  15. F

Frosty's 10 Gallon

Thanks for the compliment :) I'm really happy with the Blyxa japonica and how it's taken hold. I've been waiting for my canister filter that I ordered to come in, at which point I'll be changing things around in here. It looks a little too weedy with all the stems, inmho
  16. F

Frosty's 10 Gallon

Well, I've fallen completely in love with my baby peacock gudgeons. They're in a 5 gallon eclipse hex tank (I used to have an old journal about that tank if anyone remembers) with java moss and some random plant cuttings. I'm feeding them walter worms 3 times a day. The worms smell absolutely...
  17. F

Frosty's 10 Gallon

Bonne - Thank you :) I love planted tanks. Its as close to reefkeeping as you can get in freshwater, in my opinion. I was planning on buying an Eheim 2213. It's pretty much perfect for a 10 gallon. However, I found a deal on a Fluval 305, so I ordered that. Its WAY overkill for a 10...
  18. F

Frosty's 10 Gallon

Just a heads up about that gender ratio. One of the males was murdered shortly after you asked the question. So current gender ratio is 2M 3F, and everyone seems much happier in the tank. Im sure that more males could be kept in a larger tank of course.
  19. F

Frosty's 10 Gallon

I thought maybe someone might be interested in my peacock gudgeons breeding in this tank. I've had about 40 hatch. Of those, Id say 20 don't look like they're going to make it already. They're just sort of laying around the bottom of the tank. The other 20 or so are sort of "bouncing"...
  20. F

New 2.5 Gallon Emersed Setup

Mellow - I've seen hydrophytes stuff. Its nice. And great for open-top tanks. Regarding stagnation, I lift the cover daily. I was worried about mold, but I think that the acidic nature of the aquasoil will probably inhibit most mold. When I started my 10 gallon, I grew HC in it emersed for...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store