Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. SantaMonica

wood

A good rule is do one step, and wait until it stabilizes before doing anything else.
  2. SantaMonica

My betta is building bubble nests

The bubble thing is really amazing, how the fish know to do this.
  3. SantaMonica

Fish food

I thought that mysis were too big for baby clowns, depending on how baby of course. Might consider artemia instead.
  4. SantaMonica

Fish NOT for the Beginner

Blue Ribbon Eel Pinnatus Batfish
  5. SantaMonica

custom fish tank

I agree about the 55; never was my favorite. Prefer lower, higher, longer, etc. Another factor to consider is insulation; thicker = more insulated from room temperature.
  6. SantaMonica

Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, part 1-4

"Algae scrubbers are one of the few, if not the only, nutrient removal systems that give me something back: Growth. It's a no brainer" -- Jim Stime, LA Fishguys "I see algae scrubbers as the single most significant nutrient exporter you can have" -- Stephen Babcock, The Corner Reef, Columbia...
  7. SantaMonica

And MFK Wins!

It's funny, one of their big warehouses with cans-on-cars is around the corner and I pass by it weekly.
  8. SantaMonica

Facebook group

Agreed mostly. I'm only on social to reach new hobby people.
  9. SantaMonica

Facebook group

Some forums use FB just to post the topic of the day, which lets new people find it there, and then click to go to the forum. It's a good way to reach new people who don't even know forums exist.
  10. SantaMonica

wood

You have the advantage of a new tank, so you don't need to worry about hurting anything. Just start out with one fish and see how it goes.
  11. SantaMonica

Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

This applies to freshwater too: Photosynthesis Lighting Test: Duration: 4 months Harvests: 13 Location: Saltwater Lights: 3-watt 660 nm (red) LEDs, 500 ma. Photoperiod: 18 hours Air bubble flow: 24 hours
  12. SantaMonica

Bringing a betta home on a plane.

Did you get to fly them?
  13. SantaMonica

Betta Tank Mates?

Are the FW nerite snails like the SW ones which climb up walls?
  14. SantaMonica

Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Aquatic Biology Basics... the videos: - Ocean Productivity - Photosynthesis part 1 - Food Chains vs. Food Webs - Nutrients and Primary Production - Chlorophyll http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtZ75KW2t-U - Zooplankton and Primary Production http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quH4x640Jgs -...
  15. SantaMonica

The Filter Guyz

This came up on another forum a bit ago, and they were located somewhere, at a different site.
  16. SantaMonica

Protein skimmers

Easy way to understand is that they remove food particles. Including fish waste, which is food for micro critters (and in saltwater, for corals too).
  17. SantaMonica

Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, part 1-4

Cleaning Off Slime On New Scrubbers When scrubbers are new, they will almost always first develop a slimey first layer of growth. This is because diatoms and dino's, which make up most of the slime, are the quickest to be able to "colonize" a new surface, sort of like weeds in a new garden. But...
  18. SantaMonica

New Glo Tetra Tank

Always wondered about these types of fish.
  19. SantaMonica

DIY filter for axolotls?

Joey also has a vid of making one of our upflow algae scrubber bubbling designs. Fairly easy. And they remove ammonia and nitrates, unlike cannisters. And you can feed the growth back to animals, for free feeding, like this fellow did...
  20. SantaMonica

Chaeto Reactors compared to Algae Scrubbers

Chaeto Reactors compared to Algae Scrubbers, part 3 Now for nutrients. Nutrients are defined as inorganics, not organics. The word "nutrient" is sometimes confused with "nutrition", and maybe in restaurants the words might mean the same thing, but for aquarists they are totally different...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store