Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. Wyomingite

New 39 Gallon Tall

Make it three No's. That tank isn't large enough for any of those fish alone, let alone the whole list. I sold mine off several years ago because it was an impractical height, but if I remember correctly the footprint is the same as a 29 gallon or a 20 gallon long. If you want cichlids, any...
  2. Wyomingite

General Aquarium Life Expectancy...and Could Someone Please Tell Me Why This Keeps Happening to our Tanks?

I have several aquariums that are over 30 years old, a couple that I got used that are over 40 years old and one tank that was my Dad's when he kept fish when I was very young, so it's around 50 years old. My 225, which is one of the 40 year old tanks, has been resealed once, roughly 15 years...
  3. Wyomingite

Best Freshwater Buffer for RO Water?

Before you make the assumption that your well is/will be low in organics you need to take into consideration the depth of the well, what material the well was drilled through, and how much runoff is from snow melt and rainfall in the direct area versus the water source the well taps into. A...
  4. Wyomingite

Moving to a House with Well Water

Now, now fishorama, ?. I can see where folks may read my post as confrontational, that wasn't the intent. However, I'm going to stand by what I posted 100%. Wild caught and soft water fish are exactly the circumstances I was considering when I wrote, "If you have rare and/or delicate species...
  5. Wyomingite

Moving to a House with Well Water

This is all well and good, but testing TDS is a waste. Here’s why. TDS will always be higher than your hardness. Period. How much higher depends on environmental conditions, such as amount of rain, what kind of stone the water passed through on the way down, how many organics have leached into...
  6. Wyomingite

Need help to ID small cichlid

At that size, I can't give you anything better than probably a Central American cichlid or northern South American acara, nd it could be any number of species. I won't rule out a flowerhorn either. Was there any other information given about the little guy? WYite
  7. Wyomingite

15 gallon tank ideas?

Dougall is right. Those dimensions are in the neighborhood of a standard 2.5 gallon. My 2.5 gallon is 31 cm long x 16 cm wide x 22.5 cm deep. It's 35 years old and I'm not sure who the manufacturer was. There there have been a lot of manufacturers over the years, many no longer around. There is...
  8. Wyomingite

Are there small cichlids suitable for 5 gallon tank?

Sorry, I guess got too wordy. Any of the Dario species, like the scarlet badis Dario dario, would be fine as a small group of 4 or 5 larger in a five gallon. None of the larger Badis species should be kept in less than a 10 gallon, IMO and based on my experiences. WYite
  9. Wyomingite

Project Badis

That is such a weird size tank, very narrow, but you've scaped it so that it looks much broader than it is. You've created an illusion that it's much deeper than 6", at least in the pic. Really looks good! WYite
  10. Wyomingite

Cullet Glass and slag glass

Glass should be inert, so you shouldn't have any problems. If they're highly colorful, that might make a really cool background to showcase silver and black fish, because they'll stand out against the colorful glass pieces. WYite
  11. Wyomingite

68F - 20C, any tropical fish that could live in that temp?

Black skirt tetras and several other species from Argentina and Uruguay are semi-tropical, but I can't remember which ones of the top of my head. No to any African cichlids, rift valley or west African. I can't think of a single one. The cooler part at the southern edge of the continent is...
  12. Wyomingite

I wouldn't go smaller than a ten gallon for breeding any of the Badis species. If the female doesn't have enough room to get away from the male then he won't leave her alone after breeding. A ten is long enough to allow that, I'd be afraid a five might not. I kept my Indian blue badis colony in...
  13. Wyomingite

Dario dario is the scarlet badis. Badis badis is the common or Indian blue badis. These are the two most common species I've seen in the trade. Dario and Badis are the only two genera in the Badidae family. They are separated due to several anatomical/physical attributes and one major...
  14. Wyomingite

Definitely, to both questions. I originally started with 5 males from three different sources and 7 females from four different sources. Their pair bonds aren't strong and if you swap males and females regularly you can keep the gene pool fairly well mixed up. Over time though, it did catch up...
  15. Wyomingite

I honestly don't think there is a cichlid I'd keep in a 5 gallon tank. I've kept badis many times over the years, including the common blue badis (Badis badis), the burmese badis (Badis ruber) and the scarlet badis (Dario dario) . I've never been able to get any of them to eat prepared foods...
  16. Wyomingite

What is this on my bloated fish ?

Is it transparent or does it have a color to it? I can't tell. I'm guessing a herniation that has popped out through the scales, possibly aggravated by the dropsy. If it's transparent, it might just be natural gases in the body cavity pushing out the skin. If it has a color to it, then it's an...
  17. Wyomingite

65G FOWLR Journal

Nice! I think coral beauties are underrated simply because they are so common. Their colors are spectacular. If they weren't a dime a dozen I think they'd be more appreciated. WYite
  18. Wyomingite

hi hello! Bare with me

Hello, and welcome to AC! I'm not sure if it has dropsy or if it's eggbound. I'm leaning toward the latter, because it doesn't look like any of the scales above the belly are "pine-coned". When a fish gets eggbound it's usually because the water is hard and therefore unlaid eggs aren't absorbed...
  19. Wyomingite

Trying to identify these fish

They look like Gambusia affinis, the western mosquitofish. In the first half of the last century (that sounds so weird to put it that way ?) they were introduced all over the country for mosquito control, because they eat mosquito larvae voraciously. I think they still are used in a few northern...
  20. Wyomingite

Kribs as single fathers

I'm not saying that pH and hardness couldn't or don't play a factor, fishorama. I'm just pointing out two factors that are definitely known to affect gender, at least in some genera. I hated those clamp on heaters. I was in college when the more reliable, submersed heaters started coming down...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store