Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. V

M. praecox

Heyya folks. Has anyone ever had any luck with praecox rainbows? I'm setting up the 55 to be an Asian community tank, and I think 6-8 praecox would add alot of color without costing me alot (the only rainbows around here under $9). Tank currently includes 7 giant danios, thinking about 2-3...
  2. V

Cold to Warm

If you live close enough so that you can constantly replenish your supply, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise you'd have to invest in a chiller.
  3. V

new tank ideas

Alot of the panfish will appreciate lower temperatures and may initiate breeding if the temps drop low enough. Go to your local slough, collect either humilis or cyanellus, small ones, and let them grow up in the 55. 6 or so will establish a good enough hiearchy. Eventually one may kill...
  4. V

how many powerheads

I would use probably four medium sized ones. As for the gph, try to get a total of around 12X per hour, although I've heard everything from 6X to 25X an hour. I'm partial to the Aquaclear powerheads myself. I can't give you any flow rates, but all the brands should have the gph on their boxes.
  5. V

Cook, Christmas, Marshall Island Flame Angels

You would have to have a pretty good LFS to tell you where theirs is from, though I'm sure any fish-specific store could do so. I couldn't tell you about the locality inquiry though, other than it seems to be Hawai'i = good, everything = bad. Apparently they don't ship well, which I personally...
  6. V

Powerhead cleaning?

Well, now that I've been overwhelmingly corrected (which is fine) do the AquaClear's have instructions on taking them apart or do you just have to look at it to figure it out (I guess I've never looked closely at mine)?
  7. V

Powerhead cleaning?

I wouldn't try. I've never had a problem with them. Occasionally I'll take them out and scrub them good with a hard bristled toothbrush (like a canine one). That's about as much as I'd try.
  8. V

sponge.

Depending on the species, captive care can be variable. As mentioned above, the sponges are filter feeders, so there is the thought that a tank should be set up for awhile so any free floating planton can have time to build up a good population. I don't think that live rock alone can do this...
  9. V

Borneman Article

Algae growth was too great so it choked up all of the corals and only the hardiest survived. The whole project itself failed because they didn't account for the amount of oxygen the bacteria used, or at least didn't account for it enough. We had a speaker once for a class that worked on it and...
  10. V

Borneman Article

Now, when you say greenhouse, do you mean like conventional greenhouse with assorted flora, or will you totally revolutionize home-aquaria and make a shallow bed of water with ample sunlight for alot of corals. It might not look as cool from above, but hey...
  11. V

Borneman Article

I totally agree with you Slip. Though Borneman does seem to know his stuff, I'm always wary of people that do "scientific research" and then post it on hobbyist sites. I don't think enough people know what goes into research and that some of the stuff may be fabricated at the worst or perhaps...
  12. V

test results

Try to get the damels out and through in a few pounds of live rock. Let it sit for a couple of weeks and test again. Otherwise just leave the fish in there for a couple more weeks before testing again, then start adding more fish very slowly. I'd recommend strongly though looking into alot of...
  13. V

toxins

I've never heard of this but I suppose there's an allergic reaction for everything to someone out there. Try posting this on www.reefcentral.com/ They have a million members. I'm sure someone could help you out.
  14. V

What filter media is best?

I use carbon once every two weeks or so, but mostly I just run my filters empty. You could try live rock, and that certaintly is your best bet, but I would keep an eye on it to make sure that to much debris isn't getting caught in the rocks.
  15. V

whats the coolest chucnk of live rock you havegotten

I got a full 'shroomed rock once that cost me like $4. If sold for the shrooms and not for the live rock it would've cost me like $40. Unfortunately all those ******* byropsis killed them off.
  16. V

Anyone here doing Game Fish?

Depends on what species. And the species you're referring too aren't true freshwater. They often inhabit saltwater as well. A shovelnose will do ok in a 400. Space wise at least. They're a bit tougher to feed. I would just buy like 6 Fluval 400's and place them evenly throughout the tank...
  17. V

Wal-Mart

I've never seen assorted from anywhere other than Malawi. Cross-breeding is very unlikely but inbreeding isn't. And all the major pet stores have assorteds, including the Petsmart and Co.
  18. V

Julidochromis transcriptus

Get a pair of transcriptus.
  19. V

Julidochromis transcriptus

1 julie is enough. They're very active fish, constantly cruising through rocks and such. I'm assuming a 30 breeder is your standard 36" long? Another problem is the compatibility of the two species. Kribs like soft acidic water and julies love super hard alkaline water. If you bought the...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store