Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. wongster

Free Vallis - Bracknell UK

This is all gone now.
  2. wongster

Don't worry, I'm sure you're not the only one. It's not the easiest thing to spot :)
  3. wongster

Thanks and sorry. Anyone able to move this thread to the right place for me? In terms of shipping. I doubt that it's economical to ship to the states, and I think that even in the UK this might not survive given the time of year?
  4. wongster

Don't really know where to put this thread, but if it's in the wrong place, then please let me know where it should be. I'm converting my 4ft freshwater tropical to seahorse tank. got loads of Vallis that will end up on the compost heap, unless anyone wants it
  5. wongster

Coral Hitchhiker ID please

If it's a kenyan tree coral I think it is pretty undemanding. It'll be photosynthetic and can spread/grow at a good rate. They (and many other soft corals) tend to absorb dissolved or very small particles of organics/nutrients/food from the water. I've never specifically fed my soft corals. They...
  6. wongster

Mandarins for nanos

agree on the refugium & live rock. Chaeto algae also great for hiding pods. hope you didn't think I was having a go Saltwatertim
  7. wongster

Mandarins for nanos

Well as with SaltwaterTim, I'm probably going to get in trouble with the manderin police. I have kept a green spotted Manderin (Synchiropu picturatus) in a 2 foot tank now for almost a year quite happily. The tank I have is kept as a frag tank and has no other fish other than a pair of...
  8. wongster

Good fish for a beginner

All advice looks good. Only other thing I'd say is that clowns are as most people would say are hardy. however, would say that they are territorial (my always nips at me when I stick my hand in the tank :0) ) I love them though. If you plan to get more fish and some that are less...
  9. wongster

Coral Hitchhiker ID please

pass on the item you're talking about:0) Possibly an octocoral as Amphiron say. But looks like an apstasia to it's left :0(
  10. wongster

Evaporation and topping off

Only other thing is that if it does get really low, not to add too much RO in one go as the inhabitants can probably cope with gradual change caused by evaporation (if it is slow) but if you add loads of RO too quickly then you could lower the salinity rapidly esp if its a small tank. of course...
  11. wongster

Help me to understand phytoplankton, zooplankton, rotifiers...

Hi agree with TropicalNorth. Not essential. However, in addition to the point about derivation of energy from light, this is generally true, but you just need to make sure that your corals are photosynthetic. Mostly the case, but some are not and entirely dependant on catching/absorbing food...
  12. wongster

Needing a fresh start....Suggestions?

OK. I wish you luck what ever you decide to do. In terms of your freshwater idea, I think you might be underestimating the time it will take to reach equilibrium, given that you will effectively be starting from an inert system. Don't forget, as well as bacterial, your live rock would normally...
  13. wongster

Needing a fresh start....Suggestions?

If it's the apstasia that are bothering you. Have to agree with fsn77 on the peppermint shrimps. larger shrimps can take on even moderately large aps. I had a pair in my RSM and they wiped out all the apstasia (well I haven't seen any for a year now anyway). Only word of warning with the shrimps...
  14. wongster

green candy cane coral

Hi are you still interested in finger leather? probably being thick, but couldn't figure out where you are based. Will
  15. wongster

Hi from Bracknell UK

Wow I never expected such quick responses. Thanks for the compliment on the tank Reefscape. the sun coral is nice isn't it. At the moment, touch wood, it's doing quite well and is just paced on a bit of live rock. It's growing onto its exposed skeleton and under itself! it does have one bit...
  16. wongster

Hi from Bracknell UK

Hi Thought I'd drop a note to say Hi. I just recently joined this website and it's the first time for me posting on a forum, ever. I've got pretty diverse interests, from fish keeping (fresh water & marine)to gardening and keeping orchids. I've just recently taken up keeping a marine tank...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store