Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. Turbosaurus

Newbie needing help with cycling

don't bother buying packaged "bacteria" products- I find they don't work. search here in the state by state forum for local clubs or post a wanted in the swap forum with your location, Im sure someone local will help you out. If you're in the NYC area you can stop by my house for a handful of...
  2. Turbosaurus

Newbie needing help with cycling

if there is no livestock in your tank and the only thing you are caring for is the bacteria that will make your tank comfey for critters one day- don't bother doing water changes now- Leave the ammonia high- go ahead and blast it. If you see its high, don't add more until it drops, but you...
  3. Turbosaurus

PH help, desperate

I have very soft water- that means my KH (AKA carbonate hardness/buffering capacity/resistance to pH drops -drops in this case- buffers can be alkaline (high pH) or acid (Low pH) but in tap water generally refers to alkaline buffers and resistance to pH drops) is very low, so any organic...
  4. Turbosaurus

Question about gravel

You are on the right track if money is a concern. Stay away from anything packaged for aquarium enthusiasts, and look for landscaping, sandblasting or pool materials- I wish I could remember some of the brand names I used when setting up my tanks. I'm sorry Im not being very hepful. If you...
  5. Turbosaurus

? on genetics; color morphs of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, GBR, rams

someone knows- so bump..... I am so so grateful to all of the members of this community who didn't cut and paste any of a million unreliable links- You guys are awesome
  6. Turbosaurus

Jack Dempsey, not sure about the sex

If this is a mature fish, You have a girl on your hands. The caudal end (ass end) of the dorsal (back) fin, when raised, will NOT pass the peduncle (the border between the muscular body and tail fin) ... females tend to line up straight- the boys are a bit more flamboyant. She looks big...
  7. Turbosaurus

Electric Blues losing color?

Check your heaters- I bet your heater isn't working right - SA chiclids like 80 degree water-
  8. Turbosaurus

why does everyone think my angel had columnaris

Its actually much easier to clean large gravel because stuff doesn't get stuck in small places- but cleaning gravel is wasted effort (unless you are overfeeding and removing uneaten food that would otherwise rot). Getting the visible waste out of your substrate has NOTHING to do with lowering...
  9. Turbosaurus

New Aquascape: Edens Gate

I think the hydrocotyle on the right looks better than the left... that sparse kind of struggling growth under the tree, poking out from the other wild 'field grasses' adds too the authenticity of your miniaturized forest path.. It keeps everything in scale. Sometimes less is more. I think...
  10. Turbosaurus

It looks beautiful! I am so happy to see BOTH of your angels begging for food. snails are fine- visually unappealing to many tank keepers, but that's the extent of their damage- many people appreciate them because when you see their population explode its a sign you're over feeding. Once...
  11. Turbosaurus

pleco turning white?

If your pleco is pale more than 48 hours after you added the clown loaches your water is not okay. Clown loaches only bully snails. The new filter may have caused an ammonia spike, check again.
  12. Turbosaurus

Settle down Killer- ;) I love how excited you are that you've got a direction, and I'm glad I caught you before you bought meds that wouldn't help for a disease that didn't exist- Be agressive now with multiple W/c per week to do two things: 1) restore healthy conditions 2) do it slow enough...
  13. Turbosaurus

100 gal stock list. Need to think this through.

IME (experience, not opinion or scientific fact) on Akaras- Akara's are MF-ers to EACH OTHER. The odd man out still wants to school with his own kind and they will not have it... provide all the hiding places you want, it wont help. This is the one difference I've noticed n Akaras vs other...
  14. Turbosaurus

I'm sorry you got bad information- I know how frustrating it can be when you do everything you're told - because you take it seriously- only to find out your information source may not be reliable. First- as juvinile angles mature the boys and girls will compete for the most desirable mate-...
  15. Turbosaurus

Angelfish behaving strangely

IF they aren't washed out- colors fine, and eating fine (I'll take your word for it- although it is extremely rare), then you have something in their environment that regularly scares the crap out them while they are still sleeping. Are their lights on timers that haven't been adjusted for...
  16. Turbosaurus

Breeding fish with bottom dwellers

Rbishop- I'm surprised at you... BN will take over that cave in a second, for preference and breding- Rams on the other hand will neither hide in caves nor will they spawn inside them- on top? probably. Inside? never.
  17. Turbosaurus

Breeding fish with bottom dwellers

I know I'm late to the conversation - but I've kept BN plecos in ALL of my breeding set ups for more than a decade- with apistogramma, angels, kribs, rams, and discus- I've never lost eggs in a tank with only the parents and BN plecos. You've got the wrong culprit. BN are the LEAST likely of...
  18. Turbosaurus

20g High mass die off/restock

I'm glad that your die off didn't turn you off from the hobby. When that happens and you aren't sure why, a good rule for the future is to add new fish slowly - a little at a time... but I'm glad it seems to be working out. I'm a member of NJAGC.net (NJ aquatic gardeners club) Its in your...
  19. Turbosaurus

? on genetics; color morphs of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, GBR, rams

I'm an experienced breeder of many SA cichlids - angels, aistos and discus- but tonight I came home to find a pair of young electric blue rams spawning and I am wondering about what I might expect in the spawn based on the parental phenotype, before I tell you what that is... After about an...
  20. Turbosaurus

55 Gallon Re-Stocking

Your clown loaches (and to a lesser extend your BN) prefer soft acidic water (like most central and SA cichlids), while most African Cichlids prefer hard alkaline water. IME its best to put species who like similar conditions together, otherwise no one is happy And I'd recommend doing fish...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store