Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. lesley

heterophylly: leaves above and below water

Plantbrain, Ha! That's kind of funny. Tom Goliber is my supervisor, and the one who was asking me to look for plants. I know he had tried to get in touch with Lars Anderson, but didn't get a response, and he didn't know who else to contact at the weed lab. I found some Hygrophila...
  2. lesley

Thank you all for your suggestions. I liked the Marsilea or Nymphaea myself, but my collaborators want something more um... stemmy, to show the changes along a single axis. The Hygro is a good idea. I'll check my LFS. THANKS!
  3. lesley

I'm looking for a plant to use for a Botany lab demo which shows heterophylly, a distinct difference in the appearance of the above- and below-water leaves. The classical example is Myriophyllum heterophyllum, but I have a feeling that that one might not be as hardy in a tank as some other...
  4. lesley

anyone tried Slender Lady?

I think so, but I can't figure out how it works. The site says something about losing 24 pounds in 12 weeks, but I can't figure out if it's a 12 week diet program or if it's a fitness thing or what. They have massages too. I guess I will have to go in and see. I just don't want to deal with...
  5. lesley

anyone tried Slender Lady?

I have been seeing advertisements for Slender Lady and can't figure out exactly what it's about. I looked at their website, but it doesn't give a whole lot of explanation. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks, L
  6. lesley

Favorite Breakfast

My middle name is SPAM, though I have been finding a disturbing number of little bone-bits in it lately. :confused: Somewhere in the basement files, there is a whole thread on the virtues and non-virtues of spam.
  7. lesley

Favorite Breakfast

Gonna have to go with canned corned beef hash with poached eggs (with a little ketchup) and white buttered toast. And some OJ. I do have a weakness for the canned meat products. :rolleyes: Ooh, forgot about Icelandic breakfast of muesli with surmjolk, this sort of runny, yogurty...
  8. lesley

ORCA - the Movie

I saw that this movie was on last night. I remember seeing it when i was little, maybe 5 or 6? I just remember propeller blades cutting up an orca, and a dead mother whale delivering her calf on deck? I have been haunted by those images ever since. :sad
  9. lesley

Lithuanian Recipe's

Poppy seeds I like, it's the POOPY seeds that sound a little out of the ordinary. :D Let us know how they come out.
  10. lesley

Lithuanian Recipe's

Poopy seeds? I don't know how well those are going to go over. :)
  11. lesley

Have you seen "the terminator" ?

nothing brings women together faster than a revolt against the men! :p
  12. lesley

weird lime green plant

I think I have these too... they are fluorescent green at the tip, with a whitish base? Kind of look like an eyeless snake ready to strike? I'm pretty sure they are a type of macroalgae, but I don't know what species.
  13. lesley

pacific tree frogs

Thanks, uh... Poo :) The froglets were kept in one of those plastic things for about a month past metamorphosis. They seem to be doing okay in the ten gallon, though i do watch pretty carefully to make sure that they get all of the flies I put in and that the flies don't escape. I think it...
  14. lesley

pacific tree frogs

Here's another picture. I think my substrate will be okay. It's basically a fast draining mud. I think the problem comes in with substrates that the frogs can swallow in chunks and they get lodged in their digestive tracts. The stuff I used is probably closest to what they encounter in the...
  15. lesley

pacific tree frogs

Thanks for the suggestions OG and Leopardess. I ended up setting up my terrarium yesterday and used a very fine sandy soil called yolo fine sandy loam. I think it will work well for my froggies as well as for the mosses and ferns that I am planting with. I guess now the big part will be...
  16. lesley

pacific tree frogs

Hi Guys, I just acquired two pacific tree froglets from a friend. I have a ten gallon screened tank that I am going to use to house them, but I don't know how to go about setting it up. I want to have some live (CA native) plants in there, and a watering pool of some kind, but don't know...
  17. lesley

sharing my vacation pictures from Iceland

nvision, I'm actually doing my grad work at Sac State, but I am employed at UC Davis. Is your brother a bio major? If so, he will likely pass through my botany class as it is required of all bio majors. Ah, I remember the $0.29 burgers. That must have been about 5 years ago, though...
  18. lesley

Aha, but see, the new fishtanks are AT WORK! So I basically just got a new fishroom. I have a marine tank that is being used to cultivate marine macroalgaes (no fish yet), a ~20g planted tank full of neon dwarf rainbows, a 5g with baby rainbows, another 20g with madagascar rainbows and serpaes...
  19. lesley

Thanks, GEL. The new job is a staff position at the University, prepping the teaching labs for the general botany class. It's great, I do a lot of plant collecting and growing, plus I get to go to the coast once per quarter to collect marine algae for class. I deal with pretty much...
  20. lesley

Digital Camera?

I bought a Canon A80, which is the next model after the one that dwayne recommended. I love mine, bought it to take to Iceland and worked just great. It has lots of handy little features that I just might learn how to use in the somewhat near future :) It seems to have excellent light...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store