Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. ToeJam

Clownfish keep dying. why?

It really is not Petco in general that is the problem. It is the staff they hire. My local petco had a staff member who was managing fish that had their own nano and sps tanks. So they knew their stuff. They always complained about how management wouldn't let them do what was proper to keep...
  2. ToeJam

SPS or not?

Join your local reef club to. You can get some great frags for cheap from other people. Left over equipment. Handyman to help with other things. Also people to have a beer with to. Remember with corals ..Light acclimation is important also. Going from a 500w MH setting in a store to a tank...
  3. ToeJam

Finally getting a Chevron Tang!

I prefer the Exon tang myself. Or the Amaco ones =p
  4. ToeJam

On fence about going salt water & need honest opinions

Tip: Just stop replying bud....i think you have made your case. Not being smart with you either. Just think you are wasting your efforts. He is going to do what he wants here and just bouncing off his ideas with us. it sounds like one big hassle to make your own...and if one is going to buy...
  5. ToeJam

Let's steer back on track... Hearing the tests are fine without numbers isn't good enough for me. Far too often we get this in forums and when we see the tests ...things are not as good as we were told. So that is the reason I asked for actual test results. How old is this tank again? There...
  6. ToeJam

:hitting: HE did not just say that!?!??!?!?? As for PH that's another list of questoins. 1. IS he testing at odd times? PH should be tested at the near end of photo periods (lights off end times) 2. IS the top of his tank sealed by glass cover? 3. IS the room its in a stuffy place with...
  7. ToeJam

Where I was coming from was that the studies showed the slightly lower salinity environments were actually better for the fish. While Reef Tanks, prefered the higher end salinity readings. Without having the numbers at the time I couldn't be specific. Now that I have them and remember... Fowlr...
  8. ToeJam

You must have been posting and didn't notice. I had asked you to provide some salinity numbers that are low but not too low for him. Since I made it clear I didn't remember. I also then took it upon myself to get him some numbers to use to act as a guide post. I don't see what the problem...
  9. ToeJam

Well hand him this: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php Though its reef specific advice .... It is still a guide post for you or him. Reefs need a little more scrutiny on some things vs Fish only. It should still act as a guide post. here is another which actually posts some...
  10. ToeJam

You may want to give him some low salinity numbers that are OK I dont have my book in front of me....nor do I run my stuff low due to Reef. It is actually ok to run slightly lower than Reefs salinity ...worst case Ill grab my book and get the numbers for you all.
  11. ToeJam

I am with Ace... And River on the Tap water ...lord knows what can be in that from day to day. Also the scene you describe sounds like a mess. You are aware adding all that to the display will soak into it's surroundings? The medicines is what I mean... You also mention he doesn't run...
  12. ToeJam

Exactly TDS doesn't measure specifics. That is actually bad for a reading. Also I would like to emphasize that Municipal Water supply can change on you. At any time without warning. Again in my sig a great example of this. Local reefers in my area can also verify that they have had some...
  13. ToeJam

Why does one think that these salt mixes for tanks is some marketing ploy? Don't you think many of us in this hobby by now would have discovered this by now?(rhetorical) Just because that tap water at the time has your Calc/Mag ..does not mean it's going to be ok using it. You are going to...
  14. ToeJam

Reef Octopus Skimmers for Sumps. CPR Bakpak skimmers for Hang off the back read my sig on skimmers ..seriously. For the record: I have two 250watt Metal halide Moguls, return pump, Phosban reactor with pump, heater, 4 power heads, and a fan to cool the hood with bulbs running. bulbs are on...
  15. ToeJam

I think things are being blown out of proportion here. Fear of crashing a salt tank, yet FW experienced. Like I said and linked: That water chemistry book will cover what you don't know. You want to understand skimmers I have a sig link to the break down of it so you can understand it...
  16. ToeJam

Extreme Lazyness and so far so good.

I think my tank has reached the maturity that can almost self maintain itself as long as I top off. I have some kind of plants I put in for food and decor in my tank..>they did grow like mad. Otherwise....I found it strange how I did nothing but top off....and ignored my tank... I finally got...
  17. ToeJam

I hate municipal water supply.

Now you tell me! Ok it must be the pre filters then..bah.
  18. ToeJam

My first original salt tank to toss at you. 10 gallon cheap tank from Petco. Coralife compact lamp. And a penguin PH filter =p Thats right el cheepo... fish were fine. You will just have to change the water in larger quantity weekly but ..i did that ...and all was fine.
  19. ToeJam

I had the larger version of biocube in the past. Lots of corals to =). Two clowns... did fine. Sump is not necessary but isnt bad idea either. if you manage to Mcgyver the tank to have overflow to sump and return...go for it... I think though if you are going to do that its a waste of money...
  20. ToeJam

I would start here: http://www.amazon.com/Water-Chemistry-Marine-Aquarium-Tullock/dp/0764120387/ref=pd_sim_b_5 The bio cube is easy as pie to get into. It has everything you need minus heater. They key to this is water chemistry. That book I linked is cheap and covers what you need to know...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store