Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. A

40-g Breeder

Hey all! I'm not new, as you'll find out in a second, but I've been out of marine tanks for awhile, so I'm in need of your more recent expertise... I have a 40-g breeder that is 36''x18''x16''. I bought this tank in September, and have been going around and around with what to do with it...
  2. A

What's your favourite catfish??????

I voted Synodontis, and it wasn't even close for me... I've had, at some point: S. angelicus, S. decorus, S. petricola, S. multipunctatus, S. nigriventris, S. eupterus, S. nigrita (or one of the species of "lace" cats), S. serpentis, and S. ocellifer. I'm currently resisting the urge to add S...
  3. A

Plecostamus or Chinese Algae eater? Need help on the double

Try to find an Ancistrus sp. (bristle- or bushy-nosed pleco)... they stay reasonably small, are effective algae eaters, and usually reasonably priced. I think bulldog plecos (Chaetostoma spp.) stay pretty small, as well, but I don't have any experience or information on them... Some plecos...
  4. A

Are the plants you're selling/trading ILLEGAL?

Hydrilla verticillata is another noxious weed that belongs on this list... that stuff is found everywhere, so I'm pretty sure NY has it. Milfoil, and by that, I mean Myriophyllum spicatum or Eurasian watermilfoil (and I think, M. heterophyllum or variable-leaved milfoil), is bad news. I...
  5. A

50-gallon stocking

What kind of stocking levels are acceptable for firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)? I've read that they are best kept in twos... the same with the cardinal fish (Pterapogon kauderni).
  6. A

50-gallon stocking

I understand perfectly (I moderate two other forums). I wasn't asking anybody to stock the tank, just kind of free-flow so I can get some ideas to further pick your brains about those and make my decision from there. I just know that there are things out there that I'm missing out on because I...
  7. A

50-gallon stocking

Thanks for the assistance all, I've decided this is not the direction to go with this tank. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do, but I'll figure out something!
  8. A

50-gallon stocking

That's half the problem... I'm much more familiar with the larger or more aggressive species like triggerfish, lionfish, moray eels, and tangs, but I do not know of any species from these groups that would be appropriate given the tank size. I mean, I like butterflies like raccoons and yellow...
  9. A

50-gallon stocking

Let's say I wanted a Centropyge species (C. loricula, C. multicolor, C. bispinosa, C. tibican, or C. potteri)... what would go well with these? Presumably, they would have to be less boisterous to accomodate the shy nature of some of these species.
  10. A

50-gallon stocking

Well, I'm thinking about setting up a few tanks for the current freshwater inhabitants (and moving some to other tanks I'm in charge of maintaining)... this would leave my 50-gallon open and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I have no problems gutting it and starting over... I have...
  11. A

135 Native tank

What are the water conditions preferred by these fish? If I'm going to try this, I'm going to have to do some research!
  12. A

135 Native tank

That's why we're "thinking" about it... actually, if any of this happens soon, I'd be surprised.
  13. A

135 Native tank

Yellow perch was one we were thinking about, maybe some darters or other small species for a nice community feel.
  14. A

135 Native tank

Funny you should mention the Fisheries Division of the DNR... it just so happens that my uncle is the guy for the region I live in.... :dance2: Ironic? I think we're on the same page in terms of stocking... it's just been hard to convince everyone to do things appropriately. They want to...
  15. A

135 Native tank

Not sure if this is where this should go... since the fish live in ponds around here, I'll take a stab. Please let me know if there is a better place. We have a 135-gallon set-up and would like to maybe turn it into a native fish tank (I live in Michigan). Does anyone know of some good...
  16. A

Java fern

Mine most definitely do not look like the photo. Maybe it's my hard water... the Anubias seem to be doing fine. Mine is also attached to driftwood...
  17. A

Java fern

It's not the spores (sporangia, etc.). I looked into that possibility already... the area around them is rotting, and there are no new plantlets and it's been that way for a couple of months. Trust me, I really looked into that.... Maybe I'll try trimming it back a little, it was gettings...
  18. A

Damselfy in my aquarium!!!!

That damselfly is small compared to some of the dragonfly larvae I've pulled from rivers... look up Cordulegaster. Anyways, if you get the chance to see it feed, it's really cool! It could have been worse.... it could have been a giant water bug or a dobsonfly larva (hellgrammite)! :) Not to...
  19. A

how to keep a lion?

Not stung, but I missed my fuzzy dwarf lion by about 2'' (PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!!).... Everything I've read says the stings are quite painful and throb. The hot water breaks some sort of bonds either within just the venom or within proteins in the body associated with the venom...
  20. A

Java fern

My java fern has blackish patches all over the leaves. It is in a tank with a pH about 7.8 and hard water with high buffering capacity. The lights are two 65-watt 6700k bulbs (Coralife power compact). The patches are not sporangia. Any clues?
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store