Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. N

Question about filter media?

More biological media. Rams can be a bit sensitive so I always like more for that reason.
  2. N

Question about filter media?

Depends. What type of critters?
  3. N

Tank mates for shrimp?

I've kept dwarf rasboras, white cloud mountain minnows, bushy nose plecos, bettas, and dwarf gouramis with shrimp no problem. Not all of those fish in the same tank though, obviously LOL.
  4. N

3 gallon bow-front tank for a.....?

Things that can work well in a 3 gallon (these are all intended as single concepts, not to be mixed): 1 dwarf gourami 1 betta 3 or 4 dwarf rasboras 3 or 4 sparkling gourami You could add 1 or 2 small shrimp such as amano or ghost to this setup in addition to the fish also. Keep in mind...
  5. N

How do YOU control the Algae in your tank?????????

If you're using actinic in your lighting, that can sometimes make your algae worse. When I switched out my 50/50 actinic to regular fluorescent, my algae stopped growing so rapidly. Other things I've used to keep algae to a dull roar: lots of live plants, ancistrus plecos, shortening the photo...
  6. N

Show me fake can look as good as real plants!

Thanks for the stuff so far, guys. Keep all the great pictures coming! They're giving me great inspiration :)
  7. N

I've kept fake plants before, and they did not need replacing every 6 months. Also, I realize the start up cost of fake plants, but they still don't need the $150 dollar or more lighting, the CO2 setup, the substrate that costs me $275.00 vs $55.00 for 110 lbs, and that doesn't even get into...
  8. N

I want a large planted aquarium, but purely for aesthetic appeal. I take no joy in trimming and dosing, but I do what I have to. While I put up with it in my low light small tanks, the prices on substrates, CO2 setups and lighting for the 55 gallon I'm planning is FREAKING ME OUT. So, here's...
  9. N

Questions after LFS visits

It's an ideal that is usually only taken into account if you're trying to breed a more difficult species.
  10. N

My plan for a new FW planted aquarium, please critique

Can't say much in regards to your plant plans, but I can most definitely say you do not want dojo loaches. They're a cool water species, best in groups, need a bigger tank, and will dig up anything you're planting because they LOVE to burrow. They're wonderful fish, just not a good bet with...
  11. N

what is/are your biggest rants in the hobby

My issue was more about how you can't put anything with tetras except other tetras. And the tank size vs how big the fish get.
  12. N

New member with a 10G.

I agree with everything you just said. Especially about Petco not buying normally, as I used to work there.
  13. N

This! Oh gods, this. I could rant about it FOREVAR.
  14. N

Employees without a clue. Example that happened to me yesterday when my husband was curious about a pictus catfish they had and I asked how big they got: "It depends on how big your tank is. What do you have?" Insert facepalm here. I don't even know why I bothered to answer her. "A 55...
  15. N

New member with a 10G.

This! It'll look awesome. Also, in your original post you say you have incandescent lighting but wondered if you should upgrade to t5. A happy medium would be to use the hood you have already and replace the bulbs with screw-in compact fluorescents like this the Aqueon Colormax Mini, the...
  16. N

Nano tanks

Hey Nate! I think you have a great idea, but I don't think a 12 oz wine glass is a good home for a White Cloud, since they're schooling fish that get up to 2 inches. I'd say get those shrimp you're thinking about, and leave it at that. Get a bigger tank and give that gorgeous fish some...
  17. N

How long have YOU been keeping fish?

My son's first betta was named The Most Awesome Indestructible Evil Emperor Zirg. I think he wins for longest name. LOL! I love what kids think of to name their pets. It's always so creative!
  18. N

How long have YOU been keeping fish?

Started 27 years ago. Kept goldfish in a bowl to begin with. I'm a 3rd generation keeper, so don't ask me why the heck my mom ever did the whole goldfish in a bowl when I was in kindergarten. It hurts my head. Did that for 2 years, then got back into it when I moved in with her again at the...
  19. N

LED lights? Can they work?

Because we're apartment dwellers and my husband does want to see some of the tax return, especially considering it's all from taxes HE paid! LOL
  20. N

LED lights? Can they work?

Looking to set up my tank come February, and I was of course obsessing online over all the nifty things I can blow my money on. I intend to do a heavily planted 55 gallon. But suddenly I see LED lighting EVERYWHERE. And it's gotten waaaaay affordable compared to when I used to drool at it...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store