Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. CWO4GUNNER

Opinions? Fluval 306 vs. SunSun HW-402B

Oh...I suppose if I had to pick between those two filters, both of which I own but no longer use for 3 years now, I would use the Sunsun since it seems to be more leak proof, quieter operating, easier to clean, and easier to achieve and maintain prime even on startup. But as far as filtration...
  2. CWO4GUNNER

Opinions? Fluval 306 vs. SunSun HW-402B

The issue I have with these type filters is that they both use lid top pumps which use extraction to pull water from the top where its more susceptible to priming problems on restart. Whereas bottom pump filter is designed to use gravity which helps pull dirty water through the filter media...
  3. CWO4GUNNER

Odyssea CFS 500 Can-filter review and circumference modification

Oh wow surprised this thread is still alive. Its been along time and things have and are changing for me. My tanks are pretty much filled with Tilapia now and the stock is so large in size now that I am seriously planning on moving out of tanks and into a pond. As far as my CFS500 and my FX5, I...
  4. CWO4GUNNER

Better late then never lol. It is now actually hard to find the giant bone shape car-wash sponges as they now sell a smaller version. If you have the large ones just cut it in half and then use a bread knife to stab each in the middle on its flat side like a do-nut hole, only dont cut a hole...
  5. CWO4GUNNER

Flaming Reds

When I had my 6 Whites shipped from a much smaller tank breeder he only charged $50 total for 6 fingerlings but would use USPS and would time the shipping. Even so he had to ship to me twice since 1/2 were DOA. This breeder called me as soon as I set my order to tell me he was temp out of the...
  6. CWO4GUNNER

Flaming Reds

I have a few Whites but since the Flaming Reds have allot of color, might as well get the best of both worlds and since they are temperate tolerant from 46F to 108F it should save allot in energy as well. Looks like Im going to have to build that pond after all. I just purchased 20 Flaming Reds...
  7. CWO4GUNNER

Better late then never lol. They are both priced well and I own both, however they are completely different in design. The 302 is a stacked basket filter with the motor in the lid, while these type filters are very user friendly for the the non-DIY type they are very inefficient and far less...
  8. CWO4GUNNER

Petco 20gal long/$20 tank salvaged for lid glass

Sorry for the late response. Your right it will wear you out if you don.t use this procedure. 1. use the drummel tool to cut the corners and heat gun to soften and easy remove frame. 2. Find a a gap to stick the razor into (usually the end panel) then use a thinner feeler gauge to easily cut...
  9. CWO4GUNNER

My two CFS500 have been running now for almost a year on timers and if anything else was going to be an issue it would have happened by now, the very simple fixes resolved I give it the big green light for those critical but really wanting one. After using many filters from sumps, HOB's and many...
  10. CWO4GUNNER

Christmas wrapping paper background

I'm tell-en ya, If I hadn't found ways to do this hobby 10 cents on the dollar in cost, I would have quit long ago. Soon Ill be posting some picks on the ultimate substrata, no more sand, gravel or pebbles that hold doo. My new cut to fit stone slate bottom from the slate yard second trash box...
  11. CWO4GUNNER

While shopping at Dollar Tree Store I found some unusual blue-translucent wrapping paper for $1. I used it on a new tank setup Im using to separate what I believe to be a male and female Tilapia I separated from the main group and hoping to get some mouth brooding soon, supposedly 100 at a time...
  12. CWO4GUNNER

Petco 20gal long/$20 tank salvaged for lid glass

The 20 gal long has just about the right size panels for lids on a host of tank sizes, provided you glue new lid guides into the center brace to size these panels so they can fit anything from 210 to 50 gallon tanks. Here are some pics of the basic procedure and end result. You'll notice the use...
  13. CWO4GUNNER

petco $/gallon sale now!

Great & Merry Christmas! I need to but another one of Petco's 20gal-Long tanks as the bottom and sides make perfect top panels for my large tanks, and at $20 salvaging them for glass lids is a bargain. I also think the 20gal-Tall tanks make great sump tanks.
  14. CWO4GUNNER

New outlet and works again...

Well if your saying you cleaned it properly and still didn't work until you tried a different plug, it sounds more like a broken wire connection in the cord most likely at the plug end where people have a tendency to pull cords out of the wall rather then reaching down pulling on the body of...
  15. CWO4GUNNER

New outlet and works again...

Today I did a water change on my 80 Tilapia tank, man are they growing by leaps and bounds. Anyway I hadn't noticed my magnum 250 I use more as a power-head then a filter had stopped working. Anytime a water pump stops working I always dismantle and clean, otherwise its just postpones another...
  16. CWO4GUNNER

While shopping for a gift for my step-grandson in Walmart, I decided I should pick up some Christmas gift wrapping paper and thought Id get the single bulk role for $8. Never liked the paper with Santa (wrong guy), anyway while looking at the mostly solid colors it occurred to me that this stuff...
  17. CWO4GUNNER

Tilapia project reverse build

The seller included 2 bags of special high protein fish farm food but seriously I cant imagine ornamental fish food being unhealthy for consumption by humans. If so what does that say about it. At some point I will be buying the food directly from the company that supplies it in bulk. I got the...
  18. CWO4GUNNER

Oh well I guess I should clarify that I will be transitioning my other tanks one at a time based on growth and personal need. Of course I also plan to start gardening root vegetables (potatoes) in my back yard. I just think that we are living in times when some prudent steps toward some...
  19. CWO4GUNNER

I finally got my order of 5 Tilapia fry by mail 2 weeks ago and I must say they are quite different than any Cichlid I have raised. Nothing I have owned grow faster then these fish as in just 2 week that have gone from tiny fry to full thumb size. Everything they do seems to be purposeful with...
  20. CWO4GUNNER

SUNSUN 512 cleaning after 11 months in my 80 Moor tank

Sorry I haven't responded. With full time classes and finals coming up things are busy which make the everyday things even more time consuming. Like I said I plan on posting a really good Sunsun MOD but to answer the questions, I use bio-balls in baskets underneath polishing pads to prevent the...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store