Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. P

Fish Leaping to their Deaths

Nope. It wasn't a predation thing. There would have been trauma to the body or it would have simply disappeared. Also, no missing scales or anything to indicate that Rambo had been bullying. Plus, Rambo had been steering completely clear of the new guy. He was probably indimidated by the...
  2. P

Goldfish and plants

My pond goldies did pretty well with anacharis. They broke it apart and rooted it out of where I placed it, but the plant survived floating loose in the water just fine.
  3. P

will water hyacinth survive winter?

I've not had it survive California winters, and ours only get down into the 50s. Of course, the heavy cloud cover and the fact that the pond is really shaded in winter might have something to do with that, too...
  4. P

Fish Leaping to their Deaths

(WOW! Can't believe how long it's been since I posted!) Okay, I know this happens sometimes. I've just never had it happen in my pond, so I want to make sure I didn't do something wrong. Yesterday, I added a koi to the goldfish pond. I talked it through really carefully with my LFS (who...
  5. P

Wait - What??? Cleaning the pond.

Wow, yeah, I would definitely NOT do what this company is advertising. That sounds to me like you'd have to re-cycle your whole setup again afterward! No thanks! For the string algae, mine became really bad this summer when the weather warmed up and the pond started getting more sunlight. I...
  6. P

School Aquarium

According to my husband (who picked up our daughter yesterday), it's not one but TWO of them. Who does that? I mean to people hear about others getting a new couch and run out and buy them a kitten? Or a run out and surprise their neighbors with the random gift of a new dog? :huh: I'm...
  7. P

School Aquarium

Oh, god. A parent just bought her a fish. It's a blue gourami. WTH do we do now? Fishy cycling freaks me out. How does this affect stocking? Will this fish even survive in the tiny tank??? Scuse me while I freak the heck out. ETA: Just to be sure how do we do the thing with the dead...
  8. P

School Aquarium

It looks like you need a sand substrate for these guys. They've got gravel going. They are so incredibly adorable though.
  9. P

School Aquarium

As of this morning, the water is in and dechlorinated, the pump is running, and I'm waiting on her to pick up the ammonia to get going with the cycle. :dance2:
  10. P

School Aquarium

Good lord that's adorable! :) But if it's not something that will really be out and active much it probably wouldn't be a great choice for the kiddos.
  11. P

School Aquarium

What are multies and shellies?
  12. P

School Aquarium

Thanks. I didn't realize ghost shrimp were a feeder shrimp. Would cherry shrimp have the same issue? Water is generally pretty hard. I've got a softener at my house, but she doesn't, so that won't be an issue. Will be good for the snails, not so hot for the shrimp. I don't recall the Ph...
  13. P

School Aquarium

I was kind of hoping the centerpiece fish would keep down the fry. Or would the guppies manage that on their own? Would it be possible to do something like get the guppies established in the tank and then add the centerpiece fish later? Regardless, I think the variety of the snails and the...
  14. P

School Aquarium

Can you clarify? Who would be eating them? What would the issue be? I appreciate you being candid, but throw-away statements like that don't really help me acheive a workable balance.
  15. P

School Aquarium

So here's what I'm thinking. The livebearers would actually be pretty cool for the kids to see. I'm thinking: 4-5 guppies 1 apisto OR blue ram a mystery snail (will hit up the market area here for that!) a couple of ghost shrimp I'm thinking with the very low bioload of the shrimp and...
  16. P

School Aquarium

You know, I don't really know about giving fish away, but I totally agree with you about the cool learning aspect of it. I've talked to her about that, too. She's got a chem lesson in getting the tank set up, an ecology lesson in the fish/plants/bio-cycle, etc, possibly cycle of life lesson...
  17. P

School Aquarium

Thanks for the info you guys. It might be easier just to do ammonia since I don't have dead shrimp laying around. I can assure you that the only stuff I know about fishless cycling is what I've read. Ponds are just SUCH a different thing than this! What a great idea about the low light...
  18. P

School Aquarium

Bear with me. This may be long. My daughter's teacher is doing a sea-life unit for the kids (ages 2-5) and she wants to culminate the month-long theme by setting up an aquarium. I'd like to help her do this right, but my experience is with ponds, which is a completely different ballgame. A...
  19. P

Algae removal advice, please

Is there a difference between the hydrogen peroxide from the LFS and the one from the pharmacy? I have a lot of snails that live in my pond (no idea where they came from) and they seem to hit the string algae pretty hard. It always looks like there's a snail perched on the clumps of algae...
  20. P

Spring babies in the pond!

Oh, wow! It's gorgeous as usual! Lucky duck on the babies. I think mine either laid without mating or just didn't lay at all. My females are trimmer again and they are all much more relaxed right now. No sign of little ones. You are like my pond hero! :)
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store