Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. T

Fan/Filter shrimp getting enough food?

I got some great advise on this forum previsously- so I'll paraphrase it for you. How old is your tank? If it's a year old or more, you should be set- it should be able to find what ever it needs in the water as it is. If it's a newer tank, be prepared to suppliment. When I first got mine, it...
  2. T

Where Do You Keep Your Aquariums?

I sleep next to a wall of pets. My 25 is about 2 feet from my head as I sleep, the stand I built for the 30 I ended up selling is sitting next to the 25, with a 5 on the bottom shelf, and a massive rat cage where my 30 SW should be... gr... My girlfriend and I are planning on getting a house...
  3. T

sugar gliders

Loud loud little creatures. Very cute though.. I just wouldn't want one anywhere near my bedroom.
  4. T

will a tank meant for reptiles hold water?

The glass is in fact thinner as, mentioned. Craigslist used tanks are great for saving money...
  5. T

Flashing guppies, No other symptom

Live bearers do best with a M:F ratio of 1:2-3 or all female. Males may get teritorial. High nutriet levels and high light promote algae growth. Unless your water is very green, you shouldn't be having low O2 issues when the lights go off- algae will create O2 when the lights are on, but will...
  6. T

pregnant or sick??

No problem, no worries on feeling silly, I had to explain the difference to a worker at a LFS who had worked there for years. So if he didn't know, no one can expect you to, haha. For maximum baby success, get some dense plants- live or fake. Hornwort works pretty well free floated as a mat...
  7. T

flashy show tank

You could also try going to a local rock yard, and find some neat rock. Everyone I've been to has had a pretty good understanding what was fish safe and what wasn't, or at least have a guy who knows. Imagination rock (volcantic rock with natural holes and tunnels) is really eye catching...
  8. T

How often do you stir sand substrate?

Never. I have MTS and Kuhlis, and I have anerobic zones. But my tank is planted- getting pretty dense with the roots- so I just leave it alone. The plants will take care of it eventually, in the meantime, nothing disturbs the sand enough to release bubbles of doom, and my filter is an eclipise...
  9. T

Another balloon

Ballooning is achieved by selective breeding of fish, like any other trait, except in this case, a severe genetic defect that causes severe bent spines. Personaly I find balloon fish creepy, and wrong on several levels, including Darwinism, haha.
  10. T

GloFish Breeding Questions

Except that now his evil plot is on the interweb for corporate lawyers to read- Dun dun dun... They ok it for classroom use- it's just a science project....
  11. T

pregnant or sick??

Swordtails are the ones with different tails, not platys. While they can be interbred, they are different species. On a platy look at the anal fin, The females will be a delta, a nice round smooth fin. On the male, it will look like a spike- pointing backwards . Drawing blatently ripped off...
  12. T

Pest snails in my shrimp tank

A mass killing of snails will end up killing your shrimp either way- ammonia build up from rotting snails will be massive is there are indeed 100's. Really the only way is manually- and to reduce feedings a bit. One thing you could try- float a lettuce leaf the snails will flock to it- pull the...
  13. T

Water CLoudy Under BlackLight?

Lowes sells blacklights- they may have the bulbs too. Organics in general glow under blacklight- just think of a hotel room bed. Or shine it on the drool spot on your pillow, not to mention so many other elephant in the room things. What your seeing is various wastes- Dissolved Solids. Your...
  14. T

DIY Compact Fluorescent (CFL) Strip Light Retrofit

If the plastic stood up to standard florecent- it'll be fine with CFL's- just make sure the bulbs are touching the plastic..
  15. T

Need some suggestions on stocking a tank before adding the Angel

Angels like having schooling fish around- sometimes called dither fish. In the wild they use these other fish as a warning- other fish panic and swim off- so do they. Schooling fish like tetras however, will just hang out- they are safe in their numbers- so the angel will hang out. Worked...
  16. T

Link for diy screw type,compact flourescents

And don't glue aluminum foil in place as per the instructable- that will scatter more light than it will redirect- just pick up a can of white gloss spray paint- if painting plastic- krylon fuision is amazing, wood- just about any will do.
  17. T

What have you given up for fish?

I know there are a lot of people out there, living on a budget these days, I was just wondering what others have given up to afford to start or continue to keep fish. I gave up energy drinks- I used to drink 1 or 2 cans of Monster a day, not the best thing for me, but I loved the taste, and...
  18. T

Are Water Changes Actually Necessary?

If not changing your water works for you, then fine. I however will continue to change my water weekly for a multitude of reasons. TDS- I'm keeping fish on a shoe string budget, I just traded my brother a spare tank to get the ferts I want to use to raise my plants- so for now I can't afford...
  19. T

How much would you pay for this tank?

Followed links all the the company website, no gallonage listed. But it does however have 3 "rare lights". How do you make a rare light? By making it so usless no one wants it, thats how.
  20. T

WTB cherry shrimp plz

Trust me you, you misunderestimate the vorasity of an angelfish. I have a THICK mat of javamoss and a massive cluster of hortwort, two very dense plants. I also have live bearers. I didn't see a single fry until two weeks after I took the angel out and rehomed him. I would however see him...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store