Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. N

What kind of catfish is this??

Slender Madtom. Notorus exilis
  2. N

Bringing a betta home on a plane.

Flying with a fish domestically is allowed by TSA. It may not be allowed by the airline carrier. But as long as you keep it in your carryon they don't have to know about it. It is different for bringing in a fish internationally. That is technically importing a species into the U.S. and...
  3. N

Which Canister Filter should I purchase

I would go for one of the new Aqueon Canister filters. But I am a little biased!
  4. N

What fish is this?

OK you don't have barbs. What you have there are two Von Rio tetras (Hyphessobrycon flammeus). Although a larger tank is always preferable, I do not believe that it is necessary for 2 of these guys. Many breeders actually breed their tetras in smaller (2.5 gallon) aquariums. Corydoras...
  5. N

Cichclids Fish

Your tank is too small for all those large Malawi Haps. You might be ok if the fish are all immature juveniles for awhile. But as they grow and mature there is going to be a bloodbath. A 150 would be a better choice for that group.
  6. N

Protein skimmers

The proteins bind to the surface tension on the bubbles (like the skin on soup). The bubbles then push up and into a collection cup, essentially removing this organic material from the water. Proteins contain nitrogen, phosphorous, and extra carbon which would eventually break down into...
  7. N

Once again...help identifying one of my fish...

H. sauvagei is correct. also called the Yellow Rock Kribensis.
  8. N

Help identifying these two cichlids...

The first one is a Melanochromis exasperatus. (a species of Malawi mbuna). The second one is a Zebra obliquidens (Astatotilapia latifasciata), a Victorian hap. Andy
  9. N

Betta at the vet

I wonder how many hundreds of dollars the bill was.
  10. N

First Post - Need Ideas - Prison Theme Tank

I was thinking jailbirds (Leporinus fasciatus). but they get too big for a 20 gallon tank. The decorations are all hand painted. Assuming they fit safety standards for children's toys they should be safe for the aquarium. However the paint will likely flake off over time.
  11. N

Elegant Cory?

Elegant corys are a small species and 5 in a 10 gallon should be no problem. Bigger is always better, but many cory breeders (including myself) use 5-10 gallon aquariums for small breeding groups of smaller species. Andy
  12. N

Best place to purchase a 180 gallon aquarium

A 180 gallon is a stock Aqueon size. You can probably find one at any local pet store or they should be able to order it for you. Petco and Petsmart do not carry that size so you are probably out of luck there.
  13. N

syndosis petcora for a Ten gallon?

Actual S. petricola are very rare in the hobby. Most in the hobby are "Dwarf Petricola" i.e. S. lucipinnis. They are perfectly fine in a 10 gallon. That's the size tank I used to use to spawn them in. You can keep a group of 3-6 of them in a 10 gallon no problem. Just be sure to provide...
  14. N

Why are my Plecos dying

I believe OrionGirl is correct. Most likely the plecos are falling victim to the cray.
  15. N

Aquarium glass cloudy

It could also be glass corrosion. This occurs when sodium ions migrate out of the glass matrice and dissolve into the water. The resulting skeleton is cloudy. There is nothing you can do about this once it occurs.
  16. N

Cracked bottom frame of 90 gallon... replace?

The bottom frame is holding up the bottom glass so it is providing support. Depending on where the crack is I would lean toward it's not anything to worry about though.
  17. N

Hole Drill Size help

A 1" bulkhead requires a 1.75" diameter hole. This should be the size hole saw bit you need. You are better off buying a bulkhead than trying to make one out of pvc. pvc does not have the flange that the gasket needs to seal against to prevent leaks. Also Lowes does not sell glass drill...
  18. N

What’s going on at the Santa Monica Pier Public Aquarium this week

I was feeding krill, ghost shrimp, and prepared frozen formulas. I never had much luck getting them to feed though. I gave up trying to keep the sharks but may try again someday when I have more tank space.
  19. N

What’s going on at the Santa Monica Pier Public Aquarium this week

What do you feed the newborn swell sharks? I have always had difficulty getting newborn coral catsharks to feed properly. Just curious what you do to get them to feed?
  20. N

Hybrid tank - glass an acrylic?

Ok. Then an issue of support is not a problem.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store