150 Gallon Build Thread ... From the Start

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

12 Volt Man

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Ontario Canada
hard to say. Eheims last forever, but the renas have not been around as long - yet. But most who have them love them. there is a whole thread on a well known planted formum that has 38 pages of former eheim users who now like XPs LOL.

but that is another topic.

I prefer the rena to the eheim that I had - the 2217.

but I have no experience with the newer model eheims. the 2217 is the 'classic' design.

the newer style eheims might be more updated and better, but you need to hear from someone who has tried both of these.

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
hard to say. Eheims last forever, but the renas have not been around as long - yet. But most who have them love them. there is a whole thread on a well known planted formum that has 38 pages of former eheim users who now like XPs LOL.

but that is another topic.

I prefer the rena to the eheim that I had - the 2217.

but I have no experience with the newer model eheims. the 2217 is the 'classic' design.

the newer style eheims might be more updated and better, but you need to hear from someone who has tried both of these.
As always, thanks for the great input 12 Volt Man!!

I really don't want to get into the "my filter is better" debate (lol). I am sure there are countless members who have had excellent success with all filters. I still guess I lean towards the Eheim just because of the "workhorse" reputation (watch mine blow up in the first week - lol)!!

Gotta' find some ground cover plant input to justify that taller tank!! Without getting jammed too terribly bad on lighting (lol)!!

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Question: LFS best place for the tank? No way to really order online is there?
Yes, unfortunately the LFS is really your only choice; no online retailers. You could try to talk them down in the price however by promoting repeat business and the fact that the sum total of the purchase makes it a significant investment (i.e. you can only make the complete investment at a lower price but not the one quoted). I used a similar strategy to talk Best Buy down nearly a grand on our new TV and received free delivery and the flat panel mounting bracket thrown in for good measure. In other words, almost everything is negotiable :thumbsup:

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
If you wanted to go with an FX5, but are intimidated by the sheer flow it can produce, set it up with a Y adapter and 2 spraybars, and plumb them to be on opposite sides of the tank. That should more than divert enough flow to tame that beast. :)
This is actually a great idea! That would likely negate (perhaps) one of the few downsides of the unit. I'll get some shots of my FX5 though it only uses the standard intake/output hose configuration out of the box.

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
^^^ Thanks Vader - will certainly try and negotiate a package deal at the LFS. Especially since they handle Eheim now. It will be substrate, plants, fish, the whole ball of wax. I just really need both barrels loaded with knowledge before I walk through the door. If I know my stuff I think they will be much more likely to deal!!

Pic of your FX5 setup would also be cool.

Teeds404

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
If you like I can talk with Marcie and see what can be done with the prices. I'm sure if you buy the whole package deal, tank, stand canopy, filters, substrate (the whole shabang) she might be willing to give a discount.

I also think for lighting to go with T-5's. They have the intensity required to get to the bottom of the tank and could be easily mounted inside your hood with a little jimmy rigging. You might have to do a little shopping around to find T-5 ballasts that hold more than 2 bulbs so that you can get the watt's you need however, all in all you will be spending roughly the same price as with Compacts, but with greater penetration power, which is what I think you are going for. There are some ballast's out there that hold up to 8 54-watt T-5 bulbs. I think anyway that T-5's would be the best option to get the light you need without the extreme heat of metal halide.

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
If you like I can talk with Marcie and see what can be done with the prices. I'm sure if you buy the whole package deal, tank, stand canopy, filters, substrate (the whole shabang) she might be willing to give a discount.

I also think for lighting to go with T-5's. They have the intensity required to get to the bottom of the tank and could be easily mounted inside your hood with a little jimmy rigging. You might have to do a little shopping around to find T-5 ballasts that hold more than 2 bulbs so that you can get the watt's you need however, all in all you will be spending roughly the same price as with Compacts, but with greater penetration power, which is what I think you are going for. There are some ballast's out there that hold up to 8 54-watt T-5 bulbs. I think anyway that T-5's would be the best option to get the light you need without the extreme heat of metal halide.
Look everybody, we have the LFS guru blasting in on the thread (lol)!! Welcome - perhaps the "inside track" is exactly what we need! Don't give away, nor forget, the mission - you have got to get your priorities right here young man (lol)!

BTW - great pics you sent of your tank. Incredible growth. Sorry I didn't get back to you before now - have been away from my computer for a couple of days!

Lead on Matt - get to work on the shabang pricing (lol)!!

Teeds404

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
I go in tomorrow so I'll see what I can do. At least give a rough idea how much might be able to be knocked off. No promises but I shall do my best.

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
Finally closed in on the receipts; all prices US:

125 gallon long tank: ~ $335
Mission Series cherry finish stand: ~ $350.00
Mission Series cherry finish canopy: ~ $420.00
Okay Matt - here we go - these are the targets (and your mission)!! A little more for the 150 will certainly be understandable (lol)!

Teeds404

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
I believe the 125 we have is around that price, might even be a little less. As for the stand and canopy, that's going to be interesting. What were the rates we gave you for them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store