72g Bowfront Mbuna Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks. Super active! I love it. :D

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Test from this afternoon.
NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 30

Everything seems fine but I will continue to keep an eye on it. Today I got a chance to sit down and really take a good look at the fish & noticed almost everyone of the new guys have minor fin damage so I will be doing daily WCs anyway.

I tried to get some photos but they all go nuts when I am near the tank so I tried to get a video. That didn't turn out much better but here ya go! :) (If I can get the video to work)
[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nrdJYFBml74&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nrdJYFBml74&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

:headshake2: I really need to learn how to take good pictures & videos. :silly:

I also need to buy a new filter since all the others broke, any suggestions? I would prefer a canister but money is getting tight (holidays!). Also I was thinking about adding Pictus catfish, comments?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I got some of the plants in last night, various anubias species. I took the basket out just for a photo shoot. It looks rather bare there but once I get a new filter to put the media in I will be adding a couple rocks/plants there.

The tank is not that bright or hazy in person. :)

I really like the frogbit too. They do not seem to be eating it anymore either (may have just been the splendens) but they do like to hide in it and look for food. It is nice cause it makes them come to the top a lot.

Now that I have some more plants in there I switched the bubbler to only come on at night.

RiftLakeRosco

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
y such aggressive current in the tank??? african lakes are pretty calm, not even tidal for that matter.... just curious

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Current was not an intentional goal but circulation was, current just happens. If you are referring to the video that is just the output of the HOB & the water was a little low. There is a lot of still water too but they like getting right in front of the outputs and swimming into the current.

Istanbul_Kop

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Liverpool, UK.
Really beautiful tank mate. Your threads have been a great read to me, as I am just setting up and trying to get my stocklist organised. The UGJ system is a particular highlight to me, I think it's a great idea for a Mbuna tank with so many rocks. Might look into it myself!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Really beautiful tank mate. Your threads have been a great read to me, as I am just setting up and trying to get my stocklist organised. The UGJ system is a particular highlight to me, I think it's a great idea for a Mbuna tank with so many rocks. Might look into it myself!
Thanks, glad you're enjoying the threads. The UGJ does make it more challenging to put up the rock structures but it certainly does what it is supposed to! I get very minimal waste on the sand, especially in the front where it would be the biggest eye sore. If I did it again I would go with a different design though, I'm not thrilled with the slightly strong output and position of jets.
Thats a really nice looking tank!
Thank you!

Istanbul_Kop

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Liverpool, UK.
Thanks, glad you're enjoying the threads. The UGJ does make it more challenging to put up the rock structures but it certainly does what it is supposed to! I get very minimal waste on the sand, especially in the front where it would be the biggest eye sore. If I did it again I would go with a different design though, I'm not thrilled with the slightly strong output and position of jets.

Thank you!
What design would you try?

AND...where would you position the jets? My tank is about the same as yours, bow front as well.

Also, any ill effects of adding all the fish at once? Thinking of doing the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store