Absolute and Utter Disaster...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hankn

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Israel
www.interall.co.il
Rule #1: When building a pond always buy a large enough liner so it extends completely under the waterfall in the event water seeps under the waterfall rocks.

Rule #2: Always place your pump on some flat rock that is about 6" high. This way if you ever spring a leak (and everyone experiences some leak every 3-4 years), and your pump runs and runs and pumps out all the water, at least there will be 6" of water left in the pond for your fish to survive. This has saved my fish twice in the past 5 years.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
do you have goldfish and koi? if so, carp are extremely hardy, and they will pull through. our neighbors have a koi pond, and a few years back a blue heron family started living near it. our neighborhood has a lot of natural ponds, so heron, 3 foot long turtles, muskrats, and gigantic water snakes are common to say the least. well, the heron ate all the fish and guarded the tank like it was a million dollar bill. if our neighbors somehow got a chance to get fish in, they were gone in a few days. they eventually had to call in the animal control (or whatever its called out here in fox river grove) and remove the family of heron to a different location. just remember ponds are tricky, and stuff like that will happen, but in the end, it will all be alright.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
can't help with your problem but can relate my # 2 all time disater lol Hurricane Jeanne toppled the neighbors tree poking a huge hole in the liner was was dropping by the second even though storming, was going to collect the fish and bring indoors when crack the shadehouse went down resting on top of the pond lol Rescue efforts were abandoned After storm passed and removal of the shadehouse piece by piece which took two days . two of the fish did survive in maybe one inch of water
Still have them in a rebuilt above ground
Can't relate #1 disaster as it still brings tears to my eyes lol Good luck with your plan!!! gary

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
I actually did buy a liner big enough to go under the waterfall but followed Skippy's instructions for building the waterfall instead and put it on the other side of it, I guess assuming he knew what the hell he was talking about. If we do another pond down the line, I won't be following his advice for the whole waterfall build for sure. And the pump would leave about 8" of water if a leak happened, as it's got a float that will shut it off automatically at a certain point. Anyway, so far, so good. I haven't checked it yet this morning though. Still dark out. But will be checking it in an hour or so. Started the pump back to running last night. Looked good up until I went to bed. SO we'll see...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store