Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

ACA Member

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by MoJo, Jul 28, 2003.

1. MoJo

MoJo AC Members

Advertising God
    As many of you may or may not know, I was recently appointed to Publicity Chairman of the American Cichlid Association. The job in a nutshell is to get the word about the orginization out to as many people as possible. I would like to know how many members of the board are members of the association. If you can give me a sentence or two about why you joined it will be helpful in me formulating marketing material for the future.

If you are not a member, I would also like to know if you ever considered joining. Are there any reasons or issues that would prevent you from joining? Trust me, no one is going to judge you if you simply don't want to get involved. It is and always will be voluntary. I would like as many responses to the question as possible.

Anything else anyone would like to provide as input would be appreciated. Thanks for you cooperation.

2. Cypherman

Cypherman All about Aulonocara!

Firstly, let me congratulate you on your new appointment. Secondly, I am not a member of the ACA. I have given it some thought, but mainly what stopped me was the fact that I dont have time to truly become involved, and my taste in cichlids is pretty much restricted to New Worlders, so the Bunten-whatever the magazine is called wouldnt interest me since I assume it covers a wide range heh.

#2 Cypherman, Jul 28, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2003
  3. Cypherman

Cypherman All about Aulonocara!

Also I think the site really isnt that impressive. It could use a nice, sleek revamp, if you know what I mean. For instance, when I first looked, I was suprised the association had no one taking pictures of every one of the shows, just the 1998 show. Photos of events would really convince people of what they're missing out on.

4. predatorcichlid

predatorcichlid AC Members

Have been a member ACA for quite sometime. I am also a member of the great lakes cichlid associotaion and the Ohio cichlid society. Both ACA backed clubs. I was a judge for ACA shows and events awhile back. But have been lacking the time to do as much as I would like over the last few years.

5. scott

scott AC Members

I have been planning on joining ACA and the Atlanta Area Aquarium Society for about two months now and I just haven't gotten to it. I wanted to go to the convention but then I found out I had finals today for summer school so I was unable to attend, I was not happy about that.

I am going to join now actually, hopefully I can do it online.

6. peifc

peifc AC Members

Information Technician (programmer and mainframe a
    I would love to join, but I have a big student loan that I need to pay off first *sigh*

7. Verse914

Verse914 Aulonocara Lover

Hey Mojo. I wish I could have met you at the ACA this year. I seen you, and I knew I seen you from somewhere, but I couldnt remember your name:)
    I really enjoyed the ACA this year and plan on going next year too. I ended up with 13 fish, two tanks, a couple shirts, and a nice piece of holey rock.

Heres a pic that your in Mojo:p
    [​IMG]

and heres me(maybe you remember seeing me there). Im the one in the middle with Pam Chin from "Ask Pam"
    [​IMG]

8. ChilDawg

ChilDawg Math is sexy.

Professor at Ill. State U.
    Congratulations, man!

I have only been in the hobby since last July or August, and only had a fish tank since the end of August, so I haven't really gotten my feet too wet in organizations. I figure that I'll get a Cichlid this year, and then seriously consider joining ACA as I would at least then deserve to be a card-carrying cichlidiot...

9. andruboz

andruboz Senile Member

manufacturing
    the man.

Attached Files:

• mojo.jpg
      mojo.jpg
      File size:
      13.9 KB
      Views:
  10. MoJo

MoJo AC Members

Advertising God
    I'm surprised that you didn't get a light burst from my shiny bald head.

11. jonah

jonah new old member

Oil equipment
    I do plan on joining soon. Pam made a plug for ACA at the TCA in Texas and I've been thinking about it since. The only thing I don't like is there doesn't seem to be any real presence in my home state. Only a few people I know are/have been members and other than the annual ACA meeting and the BB I might not get much else out of it.

I am already involved (treasurer) in the local aquarium association, if there was a local ACA club I'd already be a member most likely.

12. Rocketman

Rocketman Detroit; proud of it.

Medical Student; full time learner.
    Congrats!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but, Jonah, you didn't happen to be a member of a board by the name of 'FishyForums' did you? If so, you would recall an argument we had over Iraq...

13. jonah

jonah new old member

Oil equipment
    More like a discussion than an argument.:) I used to post here at Aquaria Central all the time on the old version, but the BS got a little too thick for me. AC seems much better now from what I've seen.

Mojo: Congratulations on the new appointment. It's a big challenge, but from what I've seen of you, I think you're up for the test.

14. Tightdog1

Tightdog1 Chinaman Can!

Graphic Designer/ Student
    Congrats mojo on your appointment to the ACA. and also congrats on coming back here, your presence was truly missed. i have always been a fan of all your tanks and information. i have not joined the ACA party becasue im in the same boat as ChilDawg in that i have not been keeping fish for that long of time, approx 1 year, and i have also become accustomed to new worlders and not so much africans. but i am considering joining, just have not had the time to look into it. i would like to know the site of the ACA so i could take a look. but after this i will search and try to find it anyways.

15. scholar

scholar AC Members

HI mojo,

I am a fan of yours, great pics. I am not a a memebr of ACA. I also do not know what they do!

Mine and any other's need are pics (male/female/fry), descpription, sexing, biotype, etc.. and a classified section, and periodic auctions.

This site is good. I also have 15 other sites which I frequent. I use this site exclusicely for the forum.

I need to know how to sex socolofi's. Even Pam does not know. Someone got to know!! I will be happy to trade this knowlwdge with how to sex electric yellows. At one inch I can call the sex with 95+% accuracy. :)

#15 scholar, Aug 2, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2003
  16. dbcb314

dbcb314 Hates the Overstocking Police

go to school
    i have no idea what the aca is or what the heck they do...

17. scott

scott AC Members

Okay, I have been a member for about three weeks now and I have received nothing in the mail. No thank you for your money no stickers or pamphlets or anything else like I have gotten when I joined Jeep clubs. If you read this Mojo it might be something to look in to, just a simple form thank you letter sent out to new members, low cost and gives new members a sense of belonging; which is why people join clubs and forums etc.

18. Ledslnger

Ledslnger AC Members

Student
    Actually Cypherman....the last two covers of the Buntbarsche Bulletin have had South Americans on it...I think. One was a Geophagus jurupari the newest is some type of SA/CA. They have actually been doing a ton of New World stuff....I think more NW than Old World as of late. Some great articles too...there was one a while back that was about keeping OW and NW cichlids in the same tank. Pretty interesting....both cichlids liked different types of territories so it worked out well.
    I have been in the ACA for 2 years or so...memory isn't good for stuff like that. So, since I liked it so much and would probably forget to sign up each year I just did the Lifemember thing. Good use for tax refund money in my opinion! :)
    I recommend it highly...this years ACA Convention was awesome...got to meet some great people and forum friends face to face finally after several years!!! Met Mojo and many others and hope to meet them and more next year in Denver!!! :)
    Join for a year if not just to check out the Trading Post and BB. I think after you read them for 4 months you will be ready to sign up for another year! I really enjoy them. The Trading Post might allow you to find a cichlidiot that lives almost next door to you that you never knew about!!

19. ChilDawg

ChilDawg Math is sexy.

Professor at Ill. State U.
    Go to http://www.cichlid.org/ and you can find out all about it.

20. andy5268

andy5268 AC Members

Sales Manager
    been moving, haven't been here and months and saw your post. Never joined but would like to, what's it all about?