Additional filtration for overstocked 75 g cichlid tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TimTheWiner

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2015
I have never had a cichlid tank and just bought a 75 gallon to get things started. I would like to go overstocked with primarily mbunas for appearance and to cut aggression. I have a used Rena XP2 that is used (used to be for a sale tank but assume I can clean out well with hot water to reuse). Wondering what additional filtration I should have or need in addition? Probably another canister right, this way I can just run it inline after/before the Rena? How many power heads recommended for this size tank?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Another filter is probably a good idea...the XP2 is rated "up to 75 gallons" and those manufacturer suggestions are usually a bit overstated anyways, and two filters are better than one. An extra decent sized canister or HOB would be fine, although I've never run them in line with each other so I'm no help there.

In terms of flow, you probably don't need an additional power head unless you're finding significant dead spots with your setup, which depends on how the tank is laid out.

glenngreen

AC Members
Mar 26, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Real Name
Glenn Green
Do not run them in series! Using them both separately gives you twice the water movement, and eliminates the need for the power head. In addition, you can stagger the filter cleanings so one is always fully cycled when you clean the other and vice versa.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you don't mind some surface disruption, you can't beat the flow, functionality and versatility of an AquaClear 110 hang-on-back.

I run an AC110 and a Marineland C360 on the 75g in my signature. If you want multiple smaller canisters, you can't beat Eheim Classics.

glenngreen

AC Members
Mar 26, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Real Name
Glenn Green
I'll second FF's recommendation. I love the Aqua Clears. I have the 110s on each of my 40G Breeders, and 2 of em on my 90G. For versatility, and ease of maintenance, and clear water they are hard to beat for the price.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Do not run them in series! Using them both separately gives you twice the water movement, and eliminates the need for the power head. In addition, you can stagger the filter cleanings so one is always fully cycled when you clean the other and vice versa.
+1

Mark

Redfokker

AC Members
Apr 4, 2015
Albany, Oregon
Real Name
Mike Dicianna
Mbuna are poop machines! My 55 gallon is underfiltered with only a SunSun HW302 (nice cheap filter by the way). I plan to add either another canister filter or go with a Aquaclear 110 (which cost about the same as a SunSun HW302 Canister). I run a couple of powerheads with Aquaclear quick filters to create a flow to blow the poop to the canister intake. I still get some suspended schmutz in the water column, hoping that a HOB will pull it out. And of course, a packet of Purigen or two!
55 gallon Malawi Tank 26Mar15.jpgMalawi Cichlids.jpg

55 gallon Malawi Tank 26Mar15.jpg Malawi Cichlids.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I agree on the Sunsun 302. I've had one in service for over 2yrs now on my 55g. I think it was $59 shipped with media 2yrs ago.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store