Anemone Acclimation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
I have my RO/DI hooked up to my pump that sits in a big garbage can of water, which runs into my refill "bucket kart" I was told that was how it was done.. I questioned it but I figured it removed ammonia or something from the tap water.

And I do have the fitting to hookup straight to the Faucet I believe.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
ok, that makes sense.. that was really the only way I could imagine how one would do it as well..

next question, how much Prime are you adding? I use Seachem's version of it after I make my RO/DI, but I only add 5 drops per 30 gallons and that is solely to break up any chloramines that may have made it past my chloramine filter, then let it sit aerated for 24 hours before I add salt to mix it. Also, are you checking your TDS on your RO/DI unit to make sure it is good water coming out?

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
I change the filter when it starts hitting 5-7 and I use about 8 drops of prime right now to every 40g so I think I'm using way to much.

I use the syringe from I think it's the kent Iodine solution but its an old one I cleaned thoroughly.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Naw, everything sounds good on your end.. just wanted to make sure because when you said "you can never have enough Prime" that kinda of scared me thinking your adding way too much.. but it doesn't sound like it.

Just taking a wild guess, but maybe some water parameters between your LFS and your tank at home are so far off from each other than even a 2 hour acclimation still isn't enough for the anemones to adjust properly. If it seems healthy at the LFS and dies within a couple days at home that tells me something between the 2 tanks is very different. I agree with the "stickiness factor" you read.. to me that is another good way to tell if an anemone is healthy.

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
Yea, you are probably right.. The guy who manages the fish and lizards at my LFS store informed me that they didn't bring any stock in for 2 weeks because they were treating the tanks. I waited a few weeks and observed the anemones throughout the treatments and maybe I prematurely started purchasing.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
What kind of treatment did they do? Most common treatment I know of at a LFS is dosing with copper to get rid of Ich, but you can't do that with Corals or Inverts, and if that is what they did I would say that led to the demise of the anemones.. just another wild guess though.

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
They were doing seachem cyano prevention treatment and I believe a "Ich treatment" that I didn't get specifications on which treatment it was. They also cleaned alot of the tanks thoroughly.. Maybe they caused a mini cycle?

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Cyano treatment, no problem with that and corals and inverts, it is the Ich treatment, more specifically, the method they used, that would be the biggest concern. If they used Kick-Ich it shouldn't harm anything.. it won't help anything either though. I would ask them what method they used for the "Ich" part just so you know. If they used copper, that is your answer to the dying anemones IMO.

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
Okay copper question now.. I've read about copper being stuck in tanks and the silicone permanently, is this a myth or could I have introduced this copper into my aquarium.. I need to buy a test kit for copper.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
It is a myth that never dies, silicone can't absorb anything. If it could you would have water leaking out the seams. ;) If the anemones were treated in copper at the LFS then they have already absorbed it and that was the end of them... they can still look healthy for a couple weeks after the fact but still be dying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store