Angelfish life span?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I am wondering about the life span of the angelfish in the aquarium. I have 5 years before I have to go off to college and was wondering if I would have enough time to own an angelfish and have him live the rest of his life happily.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
5 years is pushing it if you hope it dies in that time. With good care they can get 10 years or older in an aquarium. They kinda start growing slower the bigger they get. If you go to an LFS and see a large angel for sale, they usually demand a very high price compared to small juvies. Takes time and money to grow them to palm size (without fins).

So if you get an angel that you can only keep for 5 years, you are looking to trade him in to an LFS when you go to college.

Reactions: evil wizard

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I was just not sure on how long they lived in general. I might not be willing to part with him if I had bonded with him for 5 years....

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Not sure of max, but my oldest is about 8+ years.

Reactions: Duckie

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I would imagine double-digit age would be rare for one.

I've had one for close to 3yrs now and it's body is maybe the size of a pop can top. Fins are huge and long.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I would imagine double-digit age would be rare for one.

I've had one for close to 3yrs now and it's body is maybe the size of a pop can top. Fins are huge and long.
Report back in seven years if you reached a decade. You appear to me to be on top of your maintenance and very diligent about it. Average life span amongst all angels sold is very likely much lower, but then it is probably rare to be able to keep any tank for 10 years successfully unless the owner is experienced enough to do so.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Meh, I bet that an inexperienced person that knew nothing more then the nitrogen cycle and water changes could keep an angelfish for 10 years if they kept it in a big tank with really low stocking levels. Like a 100 gallon with an angelfish with a few other fish.

Reactions: Duckie

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
I had some for 4 yrs, until Sandy came to NY.
I think there are a lot of external factors in this hubby.
I am sure Star-Rider will jump in on this post.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Potentially 10 years or so, very often reduced by one stressor or another. Angelsplus.com, the best angelfish source in the US says 10-12 with qualifications about temperature they are kept at.

Their answer found on this page mid way down.
http://www.angelsplus.com/faqangel.htm

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
From everywhere I've read the life span can very from 6-10+ depending on care, most don't last a year due to beginners keeping them in tanks that are to small for them. My oldest angel(also my first) lived for about 6-7 years, she was palm size in less then a year.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store