Another batch of L134 Leopard Frog babies!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
Would one of these do alright with a common pleco in a 29g or will I have a fight on my hands? The common is about 2.5" long. I'd love to get one, but don't want to upset the balance or see anyone hurt.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
What sort of setup do you keep them in (tank size, number of adults, cave diameter, etc.)? The person I got my first group from had quite a number of them, more than a dozen adults and several broods of young growing out, in a 55 with rainbows. I'm thinking to keep them all together in a 40 breeder with a half-dozen caves and grow out fry/juvies in other tanks when they come along. If necessary I can use a 55 or 75 instead, but I get the impression they aren't fiercely territorial even among their own species.

meili.harrison

Love my plecos!
I have my breeding group of 4 adults and 3 sub adults in a 30 breeder, with a few blue rams. I used to have 6 adults in a 20 long, and only upgraded when they started breeding. You are right, they are not very territorial but I would try to minimize number of males. I think the best is to get as many young ones as possible from different sources, grow them out, then when they are sexable and if you are overloaded with males, start selling some. Not everyone wants to breed them, some people just like how they look and might want a random one or two just for their collection.

My adults are all wild caught. So far, my male has bred with 2 different females and produced 2 spawns. The young seem very healthy, I have had more losses of regular bristlenoses than leopard frogs! I don't do any changes to my water, it's just city water. Guess I was just lucky.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Captive-bred fish usually mature faster than wild-caught, and adapt more easily to diferent water conditions. You may have been lucky, getting them to start breeding w/out doing anything to your water, but they had to have been properly cared for regardless. I've read several accounts of people spawning L-46 zebra pleco's in regular tap water as well, though I'm not sure whether they had wild-caught stock. My L-333's were tank-bred in Chicago city water, and two years later I'm still waiting for them to mature. Looking forward to the new additions, they're beautiful little fish.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Darn it!!! I missed out on the sale thread!!!! :( :( :( :( These would have been perfect in my river biotope...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store