Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Aquaclear 300/70 NOISY!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by railNtrailcowgr, Jun 16, 2008.

1. railNtrailcowgr

railNtrailcowgr AC Members

Banquet Staff - FICC
    I got a great deal on a used 29 gal tank from Craigslist, went and picked it up yesterday, set it up with the cichlids and decor that came with it. Everything was fine, running smooth, and most of all quiet. I took all the cichlids to my LFS today because I an not set up to handle them (a whole 'nother stroy)...came home and proceded to change the tank over to house my glo-lites, dwarf rainbows, and rubber nose pleco.

Cleaned all the aweful green gravel out, kept the filter running to help clear the water of all the junk. Added my new gravel, scaped, added said fishys, everthing went fine. I shut the filter off to add some media and when I turned it back on it started making the worst humming noise! It sounds like an ancient air pump rattling on a hard surface. Water is circulating fine but there is a slight 'leak' from the "intake side" comeing down from the filter around the intake tube. Can anyone help me calm this thing down. At this rate I will never be able to sleep tonight!

2. Carla G

Carla G AC Members

Sounds like something got inside it. Try shutting everything down, pull apart the filter and clean it out. Look for sand or gravel where it shouldn't be and water where it shouldn't be. Put a dab of 100% silicon on that hose leak and try it again.

3. Mgamer20o0

Mgamer20o0 BobsTropicalPlants.com
    Staff Member

seems like something is in the impeller. just clean it.

4. railNtrailcowgr

railNtrailcowgr AC Members

Banquet Staff - FICC
    I took it all apart and cleaned it really well the noise seems to have stopped. Any suggestions though on how I can get the pump chamber clean? It is really mucked up and the tooth brush I use to clean filters won't fit down in there.

5. fishieperson321

fishieperson321 AC Members

Student
  6. fishieperson321

fishieperson321 AC Members

Student
    Oh, and the water flowing around the intake tube means you need to clean the media in old tank water. Squeeze the sponge out really well to remove all debris. If you don't do this now, expect it to overflow onto your floor within the next week. Trust me, this is why I don't use AquaClear.

Daniel