AquaClear Filters and Bubbles

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I have 2 aquaclear 30s in my 20g tanks. They have blown bubbles for a few months but now seem to have stopped. When I set up my 75g, I added an AquaClear 70 to supplement the Fluval 406 canister filter. The AquaClear 70 sits kind of high on the tank rim, so the return water has about maybe 1/2" to fall into the tank. There are a lot of bubbles, which I really don't mind, but the water has taken on a kind of dusty look. I think it is not particulate matter, but just the bubbles breaking apart and turning into much smaller bubbles. First question is, am I right about that, and second, is there any way to control the bubbling from that filter? The water looks basically clear and the water parameters are good. Any input will be much appreciated.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Bubbles from the return flow? That's interesting because I've got an AC30 on my 29g and the return doesn't splash at all, so long as the tank is topped-up. Is the water level in your tank topped-up? I know a 70 don't set to my liking on my Aqueon 75g. It doesn't seat down all the way. Way too much splashing. No problem with the AC110.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Yes, I have had bubbles from the Aquaclear filters in the smaller tanks, but that seems to have gone now. The new tank is the one having problems. I think part of the problem is that the 70 doesn't quite fit over the edge of the 75g tank rim. I have it leveled, but the water still has a lot of way to fall. There are two clouds of these bubbles though. One under the return from the aquaclear and now I am seeing one also under the return from the Fluval. Is it perhaps the eco complete substrate still settling? As I said , the rest of the water looks very clear, it is just under the filter returns that I see these dust clouds. It has been just about 2 1/2 weeks since I set up the tank. And yes, it is very topped up.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Scratch that last post. As I was turning out the light I realized that the dusty look is everywhere. very clearly under each led light. that does not mean that I still don't have bubbles from the AQ70, because I do, but what is that dusty look caused by? I am not sure if it is bubbles or particulate matter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store