Baby Pleco's Discovered

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
What other fish are in the tank with them? Honestly if they do not live with other predatory fish I would put the cave with the daddy back in the tank. The male pleco watches over and raises the fry until they are big enough to venture out looking for food after their eggs sacs have diminished. Plecos grow VERY slowly so keeping them in a breeder trap that long and keeping it aerated etc.. could be a pain. Even in my tanks that have fish that eat fry I usually just let them go and at least a few if not a good bit of them survive by hiding in plants and caves. Good luck with them. Baby plecos are cute and a lot of fun. :)

fishhed

AC Members
Oct 5, 2011
Thanks Ashes! I placed the moonstone, fry, and daddy in a breeder trap and have the filter flow on it so that it gets constant filtered water. I read on another forum to remove the daddy and feed the fry by using a dropper and crushed algae wafer disolved in water. I did this and overnight the daddy BNP crawled over the net and back into the breeder trap! I could believe it - he had to at least climb an inch & a half out of the water! He's staying - It's a 55g with a few platy & mollies that will eat everything that moves. He continues to clean out and guard the cave.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
You can put dad back into the tank. Once the babies hatch, dad's job is done since he doesn't have to keep predators out of the cave.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I am glad they are doing well. My daddy plecos are quite determined too. I have had a few of them that would go above and beyond (literally) to get back in the caves lol. Congrats on them! =)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store