Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Betta Bowl...

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by dougie, Jan 8, 2007.

1. dougie

dougie AC Members

none
    Hi. My friend has a 1 gallon bowl with a single male betta in it. Is there anything he can put in with it? I was thinking a snail or shrimp...any thoughts?

2. liv2padl

liv2padl cichlidophile

a betta really should not be maintained in a bowl and certainly nothing can be put in there with it. a betta, like any other fish, should have a tank with heater and filter. it may 'survive' in a bowl swimming in its own waste, but it will THRIVE in a filtered tank.

3. phaedraeos

phaedraeos AC Members

Flow Cytometrist
    I had success with a mystery snail in a betta bowl . . . then the bowl became a 10 gallon tank . . . then a 35 gallon . . . then a 50 gallon and a 35 gallon . . .

4. dougie

dougie AC Members

none
    so a snail can be put with the betta. As in, it will survive. BTW my friend does two 100% water changes per week and his bowl is clean.

5. Kyohti

Kyohti Curiouser and Curiouser...

TSR for Dollar/Thrifty Automotive Group
    While I don't agree with the whole 'bettas need a whole 10-g to themselves!!' campaign and I kept mine in smaller unfiltered, unheated cubicles and they thrived for years (with regular water changes and the addition of blackwater extract to their conditioned water), I would agree that a nice 2.5 or 5 gallon set-up would work nicely with a betta... plus, you could add in a few more fish with him to give him some company. Can't lose with that, right? ^_^

6. Kyohti

Kyohti Curiouser and Curiouser...

TSR for Dollar/Thrifty Automotive Group
    The snail would probably need aeration and filtration... and I've heard of curious bettas nipping their eyestalks off, but I don't know how often that occurs....

7. fishcatch22

fishcatch22 The Picotoper

Student
    I seriosuly wouldn't reccomend anything for a bowol other than the betta you have in there now, and ever then it's not the best setup.

8. Malbri

Malbri User

Wildlife Keeper
    I do agree with this, although it its only a little bit more then a minibow 2.5, unless there is some cheaper brand
    I bought my friend a minibow 2.5 for like 30 bucks but later i bought myself a 10 gallon from walmart for ten bucks, and ive had better perfomence out of the products from my ten gallon kit

9. dougie

dougie AC Members

none
    having another female betta wouldnt work, right?

10. fishcatch22

fishcatch22 The Picotoper

Student
    nope.