Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Binning it for the summer!

Discussion in 'Indoor/Outdoor Ponds' started by msjinkzd, May 24, 2011.

1. msjinkzd

msjinkzd AC Members

wife and mother
    I breed fish outdoors every spring through fall. This year we set things up a little different. Here is the start to the journal. I will be adding emergent plants as well as marginals in planters along the sides of the bins. They are 2 80g and one 45g rubbermaid tubs. I am using 2 285gph pumps to circulate the water. Right now all it has in it, plant wise, is pennywort, water hyacinth, and willow hygro.
    I will be using the bins to breed my meteor minnows, calico shubunkins, and endlers as well as apple snails and possibly some shrimp.
    244077_1885959362038_1633026721_1826515_7686185_o.jpg

2. MoonstruckMuse

MoonstruckMuse AC Members

This is so neat - good luck with it all. I've always wanted to do this, haha, just need my own place...
    What else have you bred outside?

3. missmeliss

missmeliss Addicted to Aquariums

Key Holder
    That looks so awesome Rach! I wish I would have known you bred goldies - I would have waited to get mine from you lol

4. jackiomy

jackiomy Lover of Oddballs

I am going to do a stock tank one of these days. Are you afraid of raccoons?

5. platytudes

platytudes AC Members

Glad you've got your tub on :D Looks fantastic!

I'd want to try breeding mummichogs...I mean, they've got to be the easiest things ever, right? And they look so cool!

6. msjinkzd

msjinkzd AC Members

wife and mother
    We do have raccoons, but they only come around if food is out. Since we don't use trash cans and feed the cat inside, its sort of a non-issue as these are about 6' from my deck

7. platytudes

platytudes AC Members

Need any plants? My friend has several natural clay ponds in his 8 acre property (he lives in the swamp basically, lol) and has a multitude of emersed and aquatic plants. Lizard tail, Cyperus, Myriophyllum sp. (parrot's feather), lemon bacopa...um these li'l water lettuce looking things...he always sends me home with armloads of stuff when I visit him! I'd be happy to share the bounty.

8. msjinkzd

msjinkzd AC Members

wife and mother
    Yes, yes I do. That would be super helpful as I can only find marginals at the pond stores here.

and I don't breed goldfish, YET :D

9. platytudes

platytudes AC Members

I'm gonna visit him this weekend and I'll be sure to raid his place! Best part is it's all FREE, and very little of it (just the Cyperus and parrot's feather) was introduced, most of it was just collected from here and there :D

10. msjinkzd

msjinkzd AC Members

wife and mother
    Taht would be great. Do you typically treat the plants with anything before introducing them to your bins/pond/tank?