Bottom feeders that won`t bother plants or eat shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I need to start thinking of a bottom dweller for my 120 planted aquarium that I`ve just set up about a week and a half ago.

Currently I only have afew livebearers and some various plants.

I would very much like to have some ghost or other kinds of shrimps in there, as thats also a first for me. I have kept many types of fish over the years but theres a gap in my knowledge for planted tanks and community fish.

What bottom dweller could I get away with in this set up?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Red cherry shrimp are great, leave live plants alone and breed like crazy, but unless there's tons of hiding places, they'll get eaten by fish with mouths big enough to eat them.

Siamese algea eaters are another great option for a good sized tank like a 120g. They graze all surfaces but leave plants alone and they'll eat any fish-food. SAEs get good sized 5, maybe 6" long.

If you've got a nice soft, fine substrate, how about a whole bunch of corydoras? They are entertaining buggers when you have a bunch of them.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I`m just curious why are people telling me to skip ghost shrimp? I was under the impression they were the easiest and best shrimp to start with?

I think Corys would be great, but I am interested to see what other options i would have ? I know loaches are a no if you have inverts right?

I am thinking of having mostly small fish, I mean nothing that would be considered large mouthed or aggressive, I`ve kept enough fish like that over the years haha. this will be a totally peaceful planted community

MilitantPotato

Got Pleco?
Apr 11, 2006
St. Louis, Mo
www.plecofanatics.com
Otos would be great. Give it a few months before adding them, and keep up on water changes. They don't do well with immature tanks or poor water quality.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
I`m just curious why are people telling me to skip ghost shrimp? I was under the impression they were the easiest and best shrimp to start with?

I think Corys would be great, but I am interested to see what other options i would have ? I know loaches are a no if you have inverts right?

I am thinking of having mostly small fish, I mean nothing that would be considered large mouthed or aggressive, I`ve kept enough fish like that over the years haha. this will be a totally peaceful planted community
not really. there is a wide range of shrimp sold as ghost shrimp. some are more aggressive than others. they can go after small fish and fry.

how about kuhli loaches.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
By community fish I just mean peaceful small fish that won`t bother plants or hopefully inverts. I`ve kept just about every type of aquarium but not since my first have I kept a planted community.

Kuhli loaches don`t bother plants or other fish? I would love to have them they seem very interesting.
I know lots of different bottom dwelling fish but this is my first attempt at a peaceful planted community and without any location constraint I`d like some ideas.

So Kuhli, Corydoras are both good ideas, how about Garra species? I have noticed them a lot lately and remembered the name (Garra is portuguese for Claw)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store