Bottom feeders that won`t bother plants or eat shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
You said it's a 120 gallon? Not sure about garras (I think they have special requirements like fast flowing current or something, don't quote me) but the other two would be perfectly fine. Personally, I love my SAE's in my 125 but they occupy more of the mid level of the tank. Great algae eaters and they look really cool IMO.

Anyways, I would reccommend starting out with a colony of shrimp like Red Cherries, or another Neocardinia species, that can reproduce fast and fill up your tank. Ghost shrimp will get lost in a 120g unless you have a bunch. Another benefit of Red Cherries is that if you get a good size colony going they'll reproduce fast enough in case some are eaten by the fish.

Larger cories would be a great idea plant wise, but they'd probobly eat shrimp. The pygmy cories would get lost unless you had a giant school, I think something larger would be much better. Not neccessarily one of the giant 4" cories like the emeralds, but something like peppered or agasszi corys would work well.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks for the responses guys,
and User_name I have recently found Cherry red shrimp locally and I have read nothing but good things about them, and you say they will reproduce rapidly? thats great because I was kinda worried with the fact that the ghosts wont breed in the home aquarium and that they will just essentially be impossible to locate haha

Would a mixed group of corys work well? I mean will they actually shoal and form a group or are they more likely to split off into species?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
well i have only heard of one fish that will not eat shrimp.and that would the ottos.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Plecos won't either.

If cories eat any shrimp, it will be very few and only babies. Cherry shrimp will breed far faster than the cherry shrimp eat them.
ok i have read a few stories of plecos eating shrimp so i would not trust them.

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
I wouldn't trust the common pleco... the one we had totally ate the cherry shrimp. So long story short, we have Oto's now :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store