Brackish Riparium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
You're phone is an idiot. How did it get "blowguns steel" from "Lucania goodei"?

So are you pretty sure that that one is not a brackish fish at all?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Bluefins are not normally considered brackish but they are very tolerant of a wide range of conditions. A better choice for a true small sized brackish Killie would be Lucania parva, the Rainwater Killie. I going collecting in a few weeks and I believe a good part of our day will be spent in brackish environs. I wouldn't want to count my fish before I get them home, but L. parva is native to the area and is one of our target species. If you're interested, and I can actually find some they're yours. Btw the Kryptolebias are doing fine, I was away for a week so they weren't getting fed as intensely, but they're rapidly appproaching a workable size.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You're phone is an idiot. How did it get "blowguns steel" from "Lucania goodei"?

So are you pretty sure that that one is not a brackish fish at all?
I tried to type "Bluefin Killie". Not much better really! They're not normally considered brackish, but most of the ones I've actually had came in as contaminants in bags of Ghost Shrimp, so they can certainly at least tolerate low level brackish conditions.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Bluefins are not normally considered brackish but they are very tolerant of a wide range of conditions. A better choice for a true small sized brackish Killie would be Lucania parva, the Rainwater Killie. I going collecting in a few weeks and I believe a good part of our day will be spent in brackish environs. I wouldn't want to count my fish before I get them home, but L. parva is native to the area and is one of our target species. If you're interested, and I can actually find some they're yours. Btw the Kryptolebias are doing fine, I was away for a week so they weren't getting fed as intensely, but they're rapidly appproaching a workable size.
I tried to type "Bluefin Killie". Not much better really! They're not normally considered brackish, but most of the ones I've actually had came in as contaminants in bags of Ghost Shrimp, so they can certainly at least tolerate low level brackish conditions.
Oh thanks for reminding me about those K. marmoratus! That would be awesome to get a group of those. How big are they now?

I asked the seller abou the "blowguns steel" and he also thought they would be a poor choice for this setup. However I don't know if this would necessarily be because of the lightly brackish water, or because of the temperaments of the other fish. The Jordanella and the Cyprinodon are pretty rowdy. What do you think about combining the L. parva with them?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Oh thanks for reminding me about those K. marmoratus! That would be awesome to get a group of those. How big are they now?

I asked the seller abou the "blowguns steel" and he also thought they would be a poor choice for this setup. However I don't know if this would necessarily be because of the lightly brackish water, or because of the temperaments of the other fish. The Jordanella and the Cyprinodon are pretty rowdy. What do you think about combining the L. parva with them?
Definitely not. Lucania are the shy type, and even if they didn't get killed outright, they'd hide all the time. The Kryptos are well over 1/2", once I get them to a bit over an inch I'll let them go. I would think the salt content would be a problem with blowguns steel, unless you paid for the stainless upgrade, and even then, not all stainless is really stainless!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
What a beautiful tank! Would you know of any smaller brackish water plants?
I can think of a few. What kind of tank setup do you have?

I got new fish for this setup! They got here 100% alive and in great shape. The seller used breather bags packed with yarn and lots of water. Now they are going to quarantine. I will try to get pictures. .

chibikaie

AC Members
Nov 19, 2011
New England, USA
Oh, new fish! Want to see pictures.

I am trying to get a 2 gallon half saline brackish tank going for Halocaridina rubra, so it's quite small. I am currently using Java ferns, and I also tried to seed it with algae from my freshwater tank, hoping that some would adapt to the increasing salinity. I know the shrimp don't normally live with plants, but I wasn't sure where I could get appropriate brackish water algae, either. Most species seem to specify either fresh or marine conditions.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I'm back to work on this think. I hope to tear it all down and set it up again tomorrow to start getting it into better shape.

I am putting the tank on a better stand of this design...

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I took this setup apart, cleaned everything and then put it all back together.

Here's the tank empty again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store