Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Bristlenose Albino Pleco will not stop having babies

Discussion in 'Plecos' started by bsteinel, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bsteinel

bsteinel AC Members

So I got two albino suckerfish and one black spotted, and they somehow had babies. I have a little cave and the male just chills in there. And there has to be like 75 of these things. The black one dissapeared... Like 80% of the babies are albino, some are black, and some have golden spots. Some are so little you can barely see them and some are up to an inch and a half. But all of these in a 10 gallon tank...Do local fish stores buy these things?? What can I do with them. If I get another tank should I move the bigger ones in there? I just don't know what to do, do they stay fertile? Like why do they just keep having babies lol. Thanks for the advice. I am confused and just had a tank for fun but i am just shocked this happened lol.

#1 bsteinel, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. GuppyGirl1230

GuppyGirl1230 Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!

Student
    Some stores will take them, but they may not, you just have to ask the employees and mgmt. You can sell them on your local craigslist site, you can advertise here or on aquabid.com if you want to sell them, and can either have people pick them up or if you want, you can ship them.

Yes, they stay fertile and will keep breeding. They will breed as much as water conditions allow them to. If you want to breed them, I would move them to a bigger tank, simply because it would be more room for the babies and the adults. If you don't want to breed them, you can separate them, which is the only way to get them to stop.

Maribeth

3. bsteinel

bsteinel AC Members

I mean it is pretty interesting so if I get a new tank you think I should relocate the cave and the male and female to the new tank? thanks

4. GuppyGirl1230

Student
    I would definitely move them into something a bit larger, 20-40 gallons especially if you want to keep them breeding! :) It is very awesome to see little babies in the tank.

I would get a new cave for them/make a new cave for them-however you want to do it and leave the 10 gallon for bigger babies. That way your adult tank does not get too crowded and you have a grow-out tank for the small babies.

This is just my opinion, and I know that getting all new equipment is expensive. I would love to see pics though!

Maribeth

5. bsteinel

bsteinel AC Members

This is one of the spotted gold ones and a few trolling in the background. thats the cave and the male guarding it too.

Attached Files:

6. GuppyGirl1230

Student
    They look fantastic!! Great job with them btw, they must be very happy and healthy to breed so much. :)

7. bsteinel

bsteinel AC Members

Murderers row

Attached Files:

8. GuppyGirl1230

Student
    lol, so cute!

9. vanillarum

vanillarum AC Members

Yep, the ONLY way to keep them from breeding is to separate them. I have a male and a female red ancistrus BN, and I keep them in separate tanks UNTIL I want them to breed. Which is as soon as the previous batch of fry are gone. I start with Craigslist, and most of them go that way, but if they don't I will advertise them on the boards. So if you do not want a gazillion babies, you had better keep them apart. It only takes mine about a week to spawn once they are back together in their 46 gal home. Good luck.

10. bsteinel

bsteinel AC Members

How much did you guys sell yours for on craigslist? I don't know a proper/fair price. Thanks.

11. GuppyGirl1230

Student
    It really depends-look up on aquabid and see what they are going for. I want to say I bought mine at about 4 bucks a piece, but that was at a big box pet supply store. Not good stock at all, lost all three. I would love more though. I would see what they are going for on different sites and go from there. :)

12. bsteinel

bsteinel AC Members

Yeah I just can't sell them online. Don't have the equipment and stuff to ship to fish.. They would die instantly.

13. vanillarum

vanillarum AC Members

When mine were only 1/2" long or so, I sold them for $5 each. When they get a little bigger, I was getting $10 for them. People were buying 10 or more at a time, and they went fast. Good luck.

14. bsteinel

bsteinel AC Members

I got a really mad Craigslist customer who said that they have a shorter life expectancy because I have been cross breeding (I am assuming he thinks that I have the babies in the same tank as the parents??), but if they have been breeding for a long time does it effect life time expectancy? And no, they are not cross breeding, I have a separate tank I put the babies in. He also got mad when I was trying to sell them for $3.50 a piece (which I thought was a friendly price).

Also, about 30% of my babies are black albino. That is common right? Just making sure.

And last question (promise), what is the most plecos you would have in a 10 gallon tank? They are about 30 of varying sizes (none bigger than 2 inches, most pretty small). Is that too much?

Thanks for the help.

#14 bsteinel, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  15. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Information Tech
    Cross breeding might reference an albino and a standard, but they are the same species, it just means that a standard color will likely have a recessive gene so their babies will include a few albinos. There is nothing wrong with that, and it certainly does not negatively impact their health or lifespan. He might be confused and think you are line breeding, which can cause problems if it's not done properly (meaning, culling unhealthy/deformed individuals). Line breeding means breeding within the same family line--ie, father breeds with daughter, and this is done to reinforce a specific trait, such as long flowing fins or a interesting color. To be done safely, culling must be used, and occasionally introduce an outside breeder to provide adequate genetic variety and avoid too many nasty recessives. With fish, line breeding can continue for a LONG time with minimal impact, particularly if culled regularly.

Price is dependent on the market. You might look for a local fish club auction--that's how I got all of mine. I picked up 10 for about $15 that were all less than 1 inch and unsexed (I really don't recall what I paid, $15 is the max I planned to spend so we'll say that's what I paid). For the pair of reds, they were closer to 2 inches and sexed as a pair, think I paid $12.

With that many fish, the big thing will be a) water quality, b) aggression, and c) hormones. Do lots of water changes, even if the nitrogen tests are low, since there will be a lot of things building up that you can't test. So long as everyone is eating and healthy, it's fine for the short term.

16. bsteinel

bsteinel AC Members

It is okay. He said he could get the BN plecos at a fish store for $3 and I called they are are $8.98 so his argument is out the window. He also told me to have sex with my daughter (sickening I know) because that is what I am doing with my fish (which I am not). Needless to say, I responded and told him that he was off base and it was a good deal. He was really being sanctimonious and turned out to be completely wrong. He missed a good deal.

17. bsteinel

bsteinel AC Members

What to learn from this: watch out with people on Craigslist. And also, just don't reply if someone sends you a email like that. It isn't worth it, and you know who is right. That is all.

18. lolliemck

lolliemck AC Members

Piano Teacher
    Amen! I think some people just like being cranky :/

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app