Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

Bubble AlGae

Discussion in 'General Marine / Newbie' started by lebloom, Feb 19, 2012.

1. lebloom

lebloom AC Members

Feb 14, 2015
    Does Bubble Algae kill off coraline algae? I've notice an increase in the bubble algae in my tank and the coraline has diminished underneath.

2. Khemul

Khemul Sea Bunny

Nov 23, 2014
    Well, algaes do compete for space, light and nutrients. If it covers the coralline then it could starve out and replace it.

The bubble algae is much better at the all around competition then coralline, so bubble algae will win.

3. fsn77

fsn77 Building a fishroom...
    Staff Member

Aquatic Biologist
    May 24, 2015
    Bubble algae has always been a real irritant when I've had it. It's probably my least favorite alga to deal with, even though it can be relatively easy to remove manually.
    As for your question, if it's growing on top of your coralline, it will definitely shade out the coralline and eventually kill it.

4. lebloom

lebloom AC Members

Feb 14, 2015
    Yeah, thats what has happened. I just can't get rid of the stuff. I've been picking at it all weekend. I've tried keeping an Emerald crab but they're sorta delicate and the 2 I've had, die out.

5. fsn77

fsn77 Building a fishroom...
    Staff Member

Aquatic Biologist
    May 24, 2015
    I've not had the best of luck with emerald crabs, either. Out of the 4 I've tried at various times, only 2 did much as far as eating the bubble algae. The other 2 weren't interested in the bubble algae at all from what I can tell. Those 2 that did eat it did a great job at it though, and really got it in check in a short period of time.

6. cradlefan

cradlefan AC Members

Oct 7, 2012
    what are your parameters? What is your calcium level, are you using a protein skimmer? what kind of salt mix are you using? RO water?

7. ThatNewFishGuy

ThatNewFishGuy AC Members

Feb 25, 2015
    I just had some bubble algea in my tank. I was suprised at how firm the bubbles were, I had to really work at it to remove them. I thought they would just pop once I touched em.

8. greech

greech AC Moderators

Environmental Assessments and Remediation
    Jan 29, 2015
    Popping them is not the best idea (wasn't sure if that is what you did). Best thing to do is try and roll them off the rock without popping them. If you have a tight cluster, take a piece if airline tubing and cut the end at an angle and siphon them out. Of course, if you can remove the rock and scrub them off outside the tank, even better :).

9. khmerspec

khmerspec WanaBAhReefer

Home Depot guy
    Sep 27, 2014
    Just as greech suggested, don't pop them. You'll just spread them instead. I didnt have to big an issue, because I was able to remove the rock it was on, pick it, and then throw in a bucket for a couple of weeks. I kept rerinsing it, incase any popped, to get rid of any possible seeds.