Bubble eye goldfish had eye popped out-Please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
If only the surface of the eye is clouding over, it might just be from the damage, and doesn't necessarily mean that the eye is doomed. Removing tissue would definitely be a last resort imo. It'd be super delicate work around the eye, I hope you have steady hands. For now, I'd just stay the course with what you're already doing and keep a close eye on wound.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Thanks for checking back in Ricky. That was my plan of action. Thanks for confirming. Tissue doesn't appear necrotic-- just a very dark red, which suggests blood flow to me, so I will stay the course.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
aw ... make sure it doesnt get infected and it should still be all right.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Hey Somer... sorry I'm late checking on you. I would just keep the water pristine and keep the salinity where you have it. Out of curiosity, what antibiotic did you start to use, how much and for how long did you use it?

Eye cloud can be a water quality issue, which I'm sure is not the case with the way you are taking care of her, and it can be a sign of bacterial infection. I wouldn't worry overmuch yet, but keep a good watch.

Did you use any Melafix? It can inhibit, somewhat, bacterial infection. I think the main isssue is to keep the water pure. Keep us updated in any changes to the appearance of the eye and tissue around it. It's good that the tissue seems to have good vasularity.

I'm sending good wishes and positive thoughts your way. I'm really pulling for your little girl. Keep up the good work.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Mel- used half dose of Mar. II (what I had at the time.) at half the packet dose (packet is for daily use at a 10 gal-- I have her in a 5.) Discontininued use after your and Ricky's advice, and after first water change (50 %) went with salt and Melafix (I like that product, too.) This morning, the cloudiness seems much less obvious than it did yesterday. I have done a 50%, same temp water change every day after removing solid waste. I am, this morning, encouraged by the progress. In the light, I can see that what I thought was darkening tissue is actually red tissue, which seems to indicate blood flow. (May have originally been brusing tissue?) Not worried about signs of infection and I am sure that the water quality is okay. At this point, I would be willing to drink it.

She is not tracking with the bad eye, but I am relatively sure that as long as no infection sets in, she will not lose it. I will keep you posted. Thanks so much for your interest.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Sounds like things are going well so far. Keep us updated! I've been checking this thread daily. We are ALL rooting for your guy.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Here are pictures of healing progress 2/23. The first shot shows a close up of the injury taken today. The second shows a top shot of the tear. Any input regarding condition of the wound would be appreciated.

Still swimming/eating/acting perfectly normally.

maurice bad eye.jpg 100_1388.JPG

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Somer... I'm so sorry I haven't checked back in a couple of days. I've had a lot going on here. How are things going with your pretty girl? I hope she's continuing to improve. How's she doing. Please give us an update.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Well, the eye sac that was injured has shrunk considerably and looks kind of like dried orange peel. The eye itself is clouded and dark. I'm not sure it is living tissue. I do 50% water changes every day and am still using salt and Melafix. There is no change in behavior, really. She eats, takes a couple of laps and bottom sits, which is pretty much what she did before the injury.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Injury looking worse-necrosis? Correct treatment?

Maurice is taking what I fear to be a turn for the worse. The flesh around the eye has completely darkened and there is a thick film over the inactive eyeball which seems to have red in it. In the picture, she appears to have white spots. This is the scratched tank, not Maurice (thank goodness..) Sorry for the crappy pictures. It is my terrible camera.

I have decided to treat with fungus clear to prevent any secondary infection, since it contains both anti fungal and antibiotics. She is still active and feeding and doesn't seem to be in distress. Am I dealing with healing tissue or necrotic tissue? Should I be using a pure broad spectrum such as Maricyn II?

Any reply from someone with experience in treating infected tissue in fish would be very welcome at this point.

maurice 3110.jpg maurice eye two.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store