Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Can I add 2 angels to my setup?

Discussion in 'Angel Fish & Discus' started by tara777, Dec 8, 2011.

1. tara777

tara777 AC Members

Mar 23, 2015
    Greetings all :)
    I am wondering if I could add 2 angels to my community of 9 serpaes (rather peaceful as far as they go), 12 cardinals, 3 redeye tetras, 6 corydoras adolfoi and 2 German blue rams?
    It is a 55g well planted established tank and all seem to get along fine so far. I was thinking of adding 2 female GBR's but have heard that would make for aggression, so perhaps the angels?
    Thanks much for your ever insightful advice.

2. aviva90

aviva90 AC Members

Student
    Dec 4, 2012
    I would not recommend it, I've heard countless stories of how angels got beaten into the corner, ripped fins, and even death due to serpaes.

3. petluvr

petluvr AC Members

mgr of local pizza hut
    May 7, 2015
    Yeh I wouldn't try it. I love serpaes they are one of my favorites, up your school of them is what I would do.

4. stephcps

stephcps AC Members

Yesterday at 6:57 PM
    The thing is, it is hard to know. Some serpaes are fine and peaceful, others are rather insistent fin nippers. If I were to do it, I would add more serpaes first. Then get bigger angels. I can't imagine a healthy sub-adult angel getting beat into a corner by any serpae!! LOL You should just approach it very cautiously.

5. tara777

tara777 AC Members

Mar 23, 2015
    Thank you all, I do appreciate and sort of expected your responses for caution. Actually my serpaes are fully grown and have never bothered the cardinals or the GBR's, in fact they often hang out together. The only chasing I've seen is among themselves, so perhaps I could give it a try, but with bigger angels, avoiding the long finned variety. I'll think about it carefully. I also love discus and gouramis :) . . .

6. Jill-O

Jill-O All American Girl (all grown up)

I'm a money manager / financial coach / radio show
    Whinny For Me Farm in Spotsylvania, VA (USA)
    Feb 22, 2012
    We have serpaes in with angelfish and there is not any problem.

7. finsNfur

finsNfur AC Members

Nov 6, 2014
    My serpaes are little devils and chased my angel relentlessly, nipping at his fins. I had to move the serpaes into another tank.

8. tara777

tara777 AC Members

Mar 23, 2015
    Well good friends, after much pondering and back and forth with a breeder of angels who know my whole tank setup I ended up getting 6 angels. They have been with me for nearly 3 weeks and there isw NO aggression from the serpaes at all so far. I still think I'm now somewhat overstockes, but do a 25% water change 3 times a week... anyway, so far so good. Here are some pics: DSCN0542.JPG DSCN0543.JPG There are 2 black and 2 Koi as well. They are eating me out of house and home . . .

9. Hebily

Hebily My Tank \/

Jan 20, 2013
    It's been about a month since your last post; is everything still going well?