Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Can Ich (White Spot) kill a fish ?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by nagukush, Mar 6, 2008.

1. nagukush

nagukush AC Members

Hi Friends...

I was just wondering if Ich can be fatal to fishes ? Actually 2 of my Rope Fishes have Ich now and one is severe (if I'm not wrong), the white spots look raised and almost like minute ulcers...

Will the disease kill my fish ? My tank's temp is 33 C and I've added salt... will this help my fish fight back and is Ich generally fatal ?

The temp was 33C when I introduced the fish - can it be possible that ich survived this high temp and attacked the fish after they were introduced to the tank ?

Kindly advice... just wanted to know for knowledge sake...
    Thanks !
    Kush

2. ct-death

ct-death Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...

Federal Ranger
  3. grannylvsfish

grannylvsfish have you been bad this year ??

health aid
    yes, try a treatment right away!!! I always look at my fish thru my magnifier so i can get up close every day and see whats going on , that and I can not see them other wise well :( but I also get a clear eye view of whats going on before it gets to far. Treat right away! i used ick attack, its all natural and did not harm my fish or tank. I did theis with salt treatment but I am assuming you can not.
    others here can help you with a good med to use :) good luck

4. J double R

J double R The Devil

Carpenter/Framer
    ich will not kill a fish directly, per se.

It does, however, weaken them to extreme levels, to where the slightest chemical imbalance or other illness will kill them.

5. Dwarf Puffers

Dwarf Puffers Registered user

And also usually results in a bacterial infection to the wounds that they create.

6. Star_Rider

Star_Rider AC Moderators
    Staff Member

PC/network tech
    agree with JdoubleR

ich is a parasite..generally the parasite does not benefit if the host dies..host dies and the parasite can potentially die(if there are no other hosts)

but secondary infections usually can happen and are usually are the culprit.

Ich will weaken the host.

7. lucy42083

lucy42083 AC Members

What other fish are there in the tank? By the time you can see white spots really clearly, the ich is pretty bad. So probably all your other fish have it too, just watch out for them and keep your water parameters perfect as well as keep up with the salt. Others are correct they will not die directly from the parasite, but if it doesn't get better they will die from some secondary infection.

8. platytetrafan

platytetrafan AC Members

Registered Certified Oncology Nurse
    Yes if it is not treated I would think it can kill the fish best to treat the fish right away.

9. wataugachicken

wataugachicken The Dancing Banana

Customer Service
    I thought that severe infestations of ich could kill the host by basically clogging the gills and preventing respiratory function.

10. KarlTh

KarlTh AC Members

Heavy infections cause the skin to slough off. Normally a parasite does indeed not want to kill its host, and in the wild ich doesn't. It does in aquaria though, because in the enclosed space the same fish keep on getting reinfected over and over - this is not a situation the ich parasite has evolved to cope with.

Untreated, in aquaria, ich has a very high mortality rate. To a first approximation, 100%.