Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Can/should I build a refugium inside my 55g (non-display) tank?

Discussion in 'Marine Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by Land, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Land

Land Registered Member

Long story short, I have a 75g and 55g hooked up to a 20g sump (no, surprisingly they don't overflow if I shut both return pumps off), and neither of the tanks really have anything other than live rock in them at the moment. That part's a long story. But I've been trying to add a refugium to my system for forever.

There's an assortment of things I think would be problematic with most typical solutions (clearance for a hang-on refugium, expensive/too much flow to replace sump with one with a refugium, difficult to plumb a second sump).

So I was thinking: can I empty out the 55g, get a sheet of glass or acrylic, and partition off one side of the tank to use as a refugium? And I guess either drill holes through it so water can pass through, or raise it slightly above the water level and add a pump so water will gravity feed back into the tank.

Not really sure how lighting would work, though. 21" seems kind of deep, and I have a 48" 2x54W T5 fixture that I can change the bulbs in but can't exactly cut in half.

Thanks for any input. Didn't seem like a good idea to rush into this without getting some advice.

2. khmerspec

khmerspec WanaBAhReefer

Home Depot guy
    Wow, sorry that no one responded to this in so long. I used my 55gallon as a refugium for a while, and it works just fine.

What I did was I used plexiglass that extended all the way to the top, and then cut 1/4" vertical holes where I want the water to start draining. The other baffles would be just as a regular sump's would be, coming up and down for bubble traps. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Attached Files:

3. khmerspec

khmerspec WanaBAhReefer

Home Depot guy
    others

Attached Files: