Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Choosing/cleaning a filter-discussion thread

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by msjinkzd, Jun 26, 2008.

1. msjinkzd

msjinkzd AC Members

wife and mother
    #1 msjinkzd, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  2. sorberj

sorberj wannabe fish whisperer

On the issue of the UGF, I've run one on a 55 gal w/ powerheads on the tops of the lift-tubes for two years and as long as you vacuum when doing the regular water changes (which you should do anyways), this is one of the most stable systems I've ever experienced. The only time I had to do a tear down on a UGF was on a tank that had been overfed and topped off for three years with no vacuuming during the entire time. That one was definitely a nitrate factory, but the reality of it was, the tank had to be neglected for three years for something that bad to happen.
    The real drawback for the UGF though is that it requires a gravel substrate that is generally unsuitable for live plants. If you aren't planning on going planted, are willing to vac when you do water changes, then a UGF is a great inexpensive way to go. Sometimes there's a reason why "old school" has lasted so long.

3. Que

Que I wish I was a fish I wish.

All canister filters are not the same. Most that I have do indeed bypass the media more and more as the media clogs. I believe they do this to ensure water flow in the tank which is one of the 2 main jobs a filter performs.

Q