Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Cichlid salt dosage

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by captmicha, Mar 3, 2012.

1. captmicha

captmicha Le tired.

Bum
    Jan 18, 2015
    I looked but can't find it. I'm looking for a chart that will tell me exactly how much cichlid salt (recipe isn't too important as long as it makes my water hard, alkaline and high pH) I need to add depending on my current water conditions.

At best, I've found this but it doesn't really tell me exactly how much I need to add. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwh2oquality.htm

I KNOW I can keep retesting the water after adding amount after amount of cichlid salt but I strongly prefer a chart that would just tell me.

If it helps, API says my water conditions are as follows:
    GH 107.4ppm or 6 dGH
    KH 53.7ppm or 3 dKH
    PH 6.6

2. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

EX-Warehouse receptionist, now an unemployed fish
    Today at 4:29 PM
    Post this question in the Cichlid section, they maybe of more help. Also what kind of cichlids are you keeping??

3. oo7genie

oo7genie Hello my fintime gal...

Nov 25, 2013
    http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/CalKH.asp?Gallons=29&KH=2&measure=0&Baking+Soda+(Teaspoons)=1.12&SKH=6&EKH=10&pHChange=0.01

That's just for how baking soda will raise your pH. Not certain about it's accuracy, as I've never really tested it.

I ended up just creating my own mix after researching different recipes on the web, and slowly adjusting my tank week to week. The cichlid mix recipe I ended up with (per 5g):

2 Tbsp Epsom Salt
    2 Tbsp Baking Soda
    1 Tbsp Marine Salt

Starting with tap water of:
    pH - 7.4
    KH - 2
    GH - 0

To end up with a nice (Lake Malawi) cichlid friendly:
    pH - 8.2
    KH - 15.5
    GH - 15

I made up a huge pre-mixed batch of this for my 150g tank, should last me a year or so. My cichlids have been breeding like crazy since I started using this mix, so I imagine they dig it!

4. captmicha

captmicha Le tired.

Bum
    Jan 18, 2015