Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

CL Used Aquarium Pricing Guide

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by sorberj, Mar 6, 2010.

1. sorberj

sorberj wannabe fish whisperer

Sooo...someone finally got a little fed up with some of the overpriced aquariums on Craigslist. I found this on the Seattle Craigslist and figured that people here would have some comments on it. I wonder if it's anyone any of us know.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/for/1630068279.html

2. RodInCALIFORNIA

RodInCALIFORNIA EBAY ADDICT !

Pay's the bills....
    i go by 1.00 a gallon in my area the price is often less than 1.00 a gallon. tanks in my area are dirt cheap but i noticed in alot of areas they are way over priced.

3. odinthejd

odinthejd AC Members

Just say that on craigslist before you posted!

4. arise1dwr

arise1dwr AC Members

Student
    yea chicago used aquarium prices can be very ridiculous. id like to ask the author permission to repost it in my craigslist area.

5. andyjh

andyjh AC Members

Great post. I love it when someone says " I've invested X amount" I don't give a rat's $#@ what they invested. It's used equipment now and I want to pay a used equipment price.

6. theemon

theemon AC Members

nice find! i personally never pay more then 1$ a gallon. and most the time i wont pay that. as some1 else mentioned, tanks are dirt cheap around me. im talking 30-40$ for a 55gal that holds water.(holding water is a must) i just bought a 29gal completed tank, 20$.

i like the article, shows all these fools that they aint getting what they think.

i had a lady try to sell me a 75gal tank and stand for 250$ ....

7. nc0gnet0

nc0gnet0 Discus Breeder

Well it all comes down to what the market will bear. If people are listing items in your area for higher, and they are selling, then that is what they are worth, regardless of how you may feel about it. If they are overpriced, then they won't sell and prices will drop. And remember, there is nothing stopping you from offering less, many a time I have done so to be turned down initially, only to get a phone call days later accepting my offer.

One of the biggest things that modifys the value of the tank is the accesories, and if they are of any use to you at all, or they have resale value. You will find that these things can nickel and dime you to death if you have to buy them new. Recently I bought a 55 gallon hexagon tank with stand just for the accesories (fluval 405 filter, stealth heater, air pumps, nice decor) just for the accesories.

I am not so concerned with age as I am condition, I will take a 3 year old acryllic tank that is in pristing condition long before I buy a newer tank with scratches. I also paid a premium price because the black acrylic stand and hood matched my decor, and I am not a huge fan of wood.

And yes, there is such a thing as an empty saltwater tank, it all comes down to the plumbing (pre-drilled internal overflows etc).

8. blue2fyre

blue2fyre Blue Fish

According to this I would have paid $450 for my 80 gallon bowfront set. I paid $300 so I feel it was fair.

Prices on tanks around here are all over the place. Some are cheap most are not. This will be useful when I decide to sell my 55 gallon set up.

I like to buy tanks without all the extras because it just drives up the price and usually I don't need all the junk included. I have better filters, better heaters and better lights then the set ups you tend to find on CL around here.

9. Tay690

Tay690 Addicted to Loaches

You know...for someone making that list themselves

it's pretty spot on

I don't disagree with any of the pricing on that whole page

I myself am tired of seeing the typical "75g complete LIKE NEW asking $550 includes (Add random junk that you have to fix here)"

I hope they can somehow either learn from this as users or incorporate this as a pricing guide...there is a lot of flaming that goes on between PM's that are the result of ridiculous overpricing

I always say...if you don't like it...don't buy it

10. andyjh

andyjh AC Members

Someone said supply and demand are key factors in tank pricing. Another often-overlooked factor is just how badly someone needs to get rid of the tank. They're big, bulky and fragile. I like to check CL toward the end of a month, around moving time. If someone's moving and can't take the tank with them, that's when you'll find the bargains.

11. pinkertd

pinkertd Moderator
    Staff Member

Tanks on craigslist in the NJ/NY area here are crazy overpriced!

12. jmhart

jmhart Revolutionary

Chemist
    That's pretty spot on. I thought it was going to be a useless rant. Whenever I'm selling stuff on CL, that's pretty much what I set as my "minimum" price. I'll take those numbers, add ~20% for the bartering factor, and then list it.

For example, I've got a 75g on CL right now, comes with a diy stand. Asking $125, I'd happily accept $100, probably even $90. But people barter, so if I listed it at $90, somebody would want to pay $50...ain't gonna happen. I'd rather keep the tank.

However, where the author differentiates the "year or under" aquariums, I disagree. Used is used, and you can't take someones word for how old it is. Whenever someone says "Yeah, only 6 months old" that means at least 18 months. Used is used. $1 per gallon for tanks.

I had a 2213 on there complete with media, asking $60(which I got...woot, would have been happy with $45). Anyway, I also have a 2128, asking $150(would accept $120). Some lady called yesterday, confused the two, and thought I was selling the 2128 for $60...and then offered me $40. I politely declined.

13. Tay690

Tay690 Addicted to Loaches

Yah I can agree on that also

People will always try to low ball your asking price so setting your minimum and overpricing slightly...in the end you get your asking price

You can't stop them from low balling your price so the only way to get what you want is to add (like you said) about 20% on top of your min

The thing that cheeses me off more than the ridiculous prices

People that take pics of their tanks while they're up and running like 2 years before the sale

Then you drive XX amount of miles to the place because it is "Like New" condition...and you're disgusted with the scratches and dings

At that point...after spending all that time and gas money because something was falsely advertised...what can you do?

Suck it up and drive home? or suck it up and take the fish room condition tank home with you?

I'm always extremely sceptical about buying any tanks online now...

One simple rule (unless it's towards the end of the month...cuz those are actual good deals)

If it seems too good to be true...it most likely is

14. Scuppers

Scuppers AC Members

Marine/Hydro Engineer (At sea for 26 yrs. living w
    I've printed your price guide as that is some stella work and cuts through the BS. Great job.

Slightly off-topic but I went to buy a guitar from a pawn shop and the guy wanted $250. I pointed out that the neck was cracked so offered him $25 as it was a broken guitar. He said he would get it fixed and indeed he had it repaired and now wanted $350 for it. He was really really really cheezed off when again I offered him $25 for it as, basically, it was still a broken guitar!!!! Guess I wont be getting any deals there......

15. CWO4GUNNER

CWO4GUNNER USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps

Retired Chief Warrant Officer Gunner, CWO4
    I wont even buy a tank for $1 a gallon if it doesn't have all the basic accessories like a stand, lighting, covers. I say if its more then 2 years old becasue I know people have such a hard time letting them go before that even if they have to sit in storage, they should sell for $1 a gallon and have all basic accessories otherwise they should sell for $0.60 a gallon.

16. sorberj

sorberj wannabe fish whisperer

I thought the $1 per gallon estimate was pretty solid myself and agree that the "year old" bit is too hard to verify. I've definitely felt the author's frustration in looking at aquariums around here. Most are pretty much in line with this, but then there's the perennial listings that are way out of the ball-park. I saw a 125 gallon saltwater setup for $4500. The owner started the post with "I paid $7500 for this 5 years ago so it's a good deal"......It had a stand, and all, but it wasn't that nice. They had that one posted for over a year before somebody either bought it because they thought that since it's on craigslist it must be a good deal, or they gave up.

17. Somervell

Somervell AC Members

Good find, SorberJ and also really good guidelines.

18. J double R

J double R The Devil

Carpenter/Framer
    great find! I'm saving that one. :D

19. captmicha

captmicha Le tired.

Bum
    Most of the prices in my area are over the top. Everybody wants to not just get back what they initially paid but want to make a profit too!

20. fishguychris

fishguychris AC Members

75gal and stand i got for 60 with 2218 he was asking 160 lol wen there and the filter wouldnt turn on so he just said ok 60 and ill throw in a ballast yes! he need to stock his new 7ft by 3ft tall by 2ft wide with malawis and plecos i recomended a cheap lfs and he gave me a bulb :D