Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Clam Help. haha. seriously though.

Discussion in 'General Marine / Newbie' started by NapoliNewJersey, Apr 5, 2007.

1. NapoliNewJersey

NapoliNewJersey -=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=

Sep 13, 2008
    A friend of mine told me that you can put little neck clams from the seafood market in a SW aquarium. Is that true? I told him I paid 4.99 for one clam and he said that he got a dozen for 20cents each.

If that's true I feel a little ripped off from saltwaterfish.com ... How many clams should a tank have per gallon? 12 sounds like alot. If this was true I was gonna get a half dozen for my tank.

Let me know, thanks.

2. Michael Marino

Michael Marino SALT WATER FOR LIFE

Stock Broker, Entrepreneur.
    Jul 30, 2008
    I mean I guesss its alright but if one dies how you may hit a nit. spike you know so its risky. Also I dont think they are the same clam if they are i am gonna do the same :)

3. jojo22

jojo22 Salt-aholic Xtreme

Dec 2, 2009
    I have a clam from the seafood section in my pred tank. I bought him for trigger food but the trigger left him alone and he has lived happily for quite a few months now. I think I paid like 50 cents.

4. salty420

salty420 this fish was coming on to me

May 7, 2010
    From the little I know seafood depts do sell the same little neck clams you can get from saltwaterfish.com. I read on those forums that they do prefer less salt in the water though and don't live too long in our SW tanks...

5. NapoliNewJersey

Sep 13, 2008
    OK ... I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I'll let you know. I'll update you guys in a few days.

6. 5xevy

5xevy Member #62,749

Jan 30, 2010
    Nice. I think I'm going to try that too.

7. NapoliNewJersey

Sep 13, 2008
    I went out and got a couple from work. I manage a restaurant. I have the key to the store and it just so happens we had a delivery of fresh clams today. I took 2 and temp acclimated them. They were out of water anyway so I took water from my tank into a container and put them in. They were a little sandy so the water cleaned them off. I did that for 40 min and I just put them in the tank. The clams are open about 3mm.

I think they are trying to bury themselves just like my so called "cleaner clam" from saltwaterfish.com.

I hate to say it but I think saltwaterfish.com's cleaner clam for $4.99 is a rip-off. Oh well. I'll keep a close eye on these two and keep you guys posted further.

8. 5xevy

5xevy Member #62,749

Jan 30, 2010
    Please keep us updated!

9. Germanman

Germanman My fish are my babies

Retail at The Ocean Floor, some aquarium servicing
    Apr 5, 2010
    yea it is a rip off most the prices on cleaner animals are. snails arnt worth more than 25 cents really. cant wait to see how it all turns out though.

10. Reefscape

Reefscape I shoot people with a Canon
    Staff Member

Owner of See Through My Lens Photography
    Today at 3:06 AM
    the thing to note about using these clam's is that if the clam opens up more than a couple of millimeters, then there is a good possibility that it has died..over here in the UK, we have a thread that is page after page of people's attempts to keep these. Some are succesfull like JoJo and keep them alive, where a the vast majority died after a week or so...seems very hit and miss. The general concensus was that if you can get it past the first week without it croakin, then your sorted...

Just my thoughts about them...

Niko